Denon 3802, Laserdisc player, and DPL II playback

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronG, Apr 4, 2002.

1. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,

I've got my laserdisc player hooked up to the VDP input with the VDP audio input set to coax. The audio from the laserdisc player is running through an AC-3 RF Demodulator and then to the coax. input. When playing an AC-3 disc the sound is coming through fine, however if I'm playing a dolby pro logic disc I get nothing. What am I doing wrong? I'm dying to watch Raiders in DPL II!

Thanks,

Aaron

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

On my Laserdisc player, I have three audio connections going from the laserdisc to the Receiver. Depending on your RF modulator, I have a Pioneer that is auto switching. Both my RF AC3 DD signal and the laserdiscs "Digital" output go into the RF demod box. The output from the RFD-1 demod box goes into my receivers digital input. I also have a 3rd methoed of connecting the audio, which is a pair of RCA's Left and Right.

3. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the response Chris!

My demod. is the Nakamichi DE-1. The current set up worked fine on my Kenwood 407. If I also need to hook up the rca cable, how do get the receiver to pick the analog input at one point and the digital input when nessesary?

Thanks

4. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Aaron,

Check the LD cover. Many times you have a selection of tracks for L, R, L&R, etc, and these might be designated as DPL, AC-3, directors comments, stereo, digital, and so on.

Look closely and you may have to switch the track, much like the language or audio menu of a DVD.

There is probably a button on the remote to do this switching and if you have OSD, it should be displayed when you switch the track.

John Casler

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

If the LD is digital stereo, digital surround, DTS or AC3 DD then I just use the digital input on my receiver which I have the laserdisc connected to. It just happens to be DSS. To use the analog I choose MD I think. You basically take a look at the laserdisc. If it says DIGITAL ANYWHERE on the disc in relation to audio, then you're good to go with the digitial connection, that includes DD AC3 and DTS discs. Most discs are digital anyways. I have trouble even finding an analog disc in my collection.

Again, it depends on whether you can route DD and DTS into the same input without having to switch them manually, or, I guess you need to set aside two inputs, one for AC3 DD and one for DTS and regular digital discs. Realize that DIGITAL STEREO signals come out the same output as the DTS does, its called the digital output on your laserdisc player. The only thing coming out of the AC3 DD output is just that, AC3 in RF.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

more please[​IMG]

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Aaron, do you have extra inputs for other connections? If you don't here's how to create switching for the player's digital outputs. Get one of Audio Authority's, I have model # 1155 myself, digital switchers. They have auto switching with manual over-ride. My 1155 has 4 rear panel inputs plus a front panel optical input labeled Minidisc. You could run your AC-3 RF converter's output into #1. Then run your player's regular digital connection into #2. If no AC-3 is present, the box will lock onto #2. That will cover you for all AC-3, DTS, and PCM Digital Sound discs for the main soundtracks.

Note that somewhere on most of your LD's it says "Digital Sound". This means it has a PCM track. The same disc might also have AC-3. Back in the 80's, the early LD's had analog sound with CX noise reduction. PCM Digital Sound is the same as CD's. Digital Sound was an upgrade to the format's sound about 1984...? Not every disc had Digital Sound overnight though. By 1990 virtually every new release did but many 80's discs only feature analog sound.

Now why do you maybe need to hook up the player's analog outputs too. Here are some possibilities:

1. a disc has analog sound only

2. there is an alternate language on the analog track, say an English dub for a French movie

3. the analog channel has a commentary track

Now, if you don't have any analog sound discs and don't care about any possible commentary tracks, you could blow off the analog connections. If you don't set-up digital switching the way I described it here are your choices:

1. find another RF converter that's like Chris' and has PCM/AC-3 switching built-in

2. manually switch digital cables as needed

3. only use the player's analog outputs, no way Jose, right...?

4. Use two digital inputs on your head unit

If you used an Audio Authority switcher or other brand liKe MSB Digital Director, another possible advantage is that you'll have more digital inputs left over for other digital components to use. Audio Authority models all have 4 or 5 inputs depeding on model. The MSB has 6 and 3 outputs. I hope that gets you in the groove. Best wishes from Laserland!