What's new

Denon 3802 In Da House--well, sort of (1 Viewer)

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
You can adjust the crossover at 80, 100, and 120.
Trevor-
I have no idea what I am going to do with my Toshiba 9200. It is an elegantly solid piece but the Denon 2800 and the Pan 91 leave it in the dust. There were too many occurences of combing that it eventually became problematic for me.
I would say the build quality is the same as the 3801. The 4800 and the 5800 are bigger and badder, but this piece seems as dense as the rest of the line.
I hope to experiment further with the DTS:neo6 more tonight. I played around with neo6 a lot when I first got the 5800..and I could not wait to A/B it with DPLII.
------------------
Sound InSight Audio Video
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
You can adjust the crossover at 80, 100, and 120.
I wish Denon's engineers could figure out what the consumer really wants. These values suck completely. Yes you can adjust them but honestly I wouldn't use 80 let alone 100 or 120 for anything at all.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
These values suck completely. Yes you can adjust them but honestly I
wouldn't use 80 let alone 100 or 120 for anything at all.
There are quiet a few speakers systems that can benefit from,those xo settings.The problem is that too many people go by the phisycal size if the speaker,instead of it's actual frequency extension.The rule of thumb is that the speaker should extend a full octave below the XO point,so if you select,say 80hz your speaker still should be able to reach 40 without any rolling off before the filtering.So how many bookshelf speakers are flat to 40hz? Not many!

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
So how many bookshelf speakers are flat to 40hz? Not many!
very true.. and the ones that are, and can benefit from lower x-overs, will anyway need more than just a 3802 to drive them at those frequencies.
What this takes away from the new Denon is the ability to become a solid contender as a pre-pro to the much awaited Outlaw. A good receiver it remains.
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I was at Michael's house last night and lent my ears to this receiver for a short while.
We started out with the Eagles HFO as I remember great DTS separation and was curious as to what DPLII would do with that. It did nice. We listened to Hotel California and I remember sticking my ear up to one of the rear speakers and heard guitars while Don H's voice came from the front. I was there to also pick up a RP-91 so I was also lending my eyes to the beautiful 65" Toshiba.
We moved on to Mask of Zorro and gave a few scenes a look and listen. Matter of fact, Mike popped the same disc into the Denon player to A/B the same scenes. That disc has great sound to start with and I remember thinking that the DPLII sounded quite good however, we noted that the full LFE track of 5.1 does not come through. Reds on the RP-91 looking mighty fine here (as does CZ Jones).
As Michael mentioned, Fists of Legend looked and sounded great. I've seen demos of this disc before and this was outstanding. I will purchase this disc on my next DVD run.
True Lies was up next and all I can say is wow. The RP-91 cleaned up the picture very nicely and the sound during the Tango and the escape scene that followed was great (gunfire and explosions) although I'm not clear on if it was DPLII or the 5.1 track.
You guys have to visit Michael's candy store sometime :)

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Michael: Two more questions regarding the crossover frequencies (and bass management)...
Is the 80 Hz, 100 Hz, or 120 Hz a universal setting, or can you say chose 80 for the mains, 100 for the center and 120 for the rears??
Does the bass setup still allow bass to go to both the sub and mains (if the mains are set to "large"?) I think Denon called this "enhanced" bass management from the 5700 on?

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
We started out with the Eagles HFO as I remember great DTS separation and was curious as to what DPLII would do with that.
I assume you mean you compared the stereo PCM track with DPLII processing against the DTS track? As DPLII does not work with 5.1 sources.

Yea, I'd like to see Michaels set up... and luckily I live in the same area. I offered to buy dinner, we'll see.
I sell electronics at a local retailer, and can get Denon for Half price. I'm torn between getting the 3802 and the THX ultra 4802. $600 versus $1200 respectively. It'll be a long time until I can afford the matching THX speakers and wire to go with it. In the meantime, is it really worth it?
Is there a processor involved in the THx Ultra? Or is itjust a certification?
Is the beefer amp section in the 4802 it's truest virtue?
THanks,
DOug

J

John Morris

Doug: Since you seem willing to spend up to $1200, I'd use it to start to move into seperates, so to speak. I'd buy the 3802 and then get a nice used 5 channel amp such as the Parasound 1205, ATI 1505, Carver 705, or Adcom 7000. If you shop carefully, you can find these used for less than $700. You can still use two channels on the 3802 to power your center rear channels...
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Doug
Your more then welcome to come hang with us locals next time we get together....drop me an email and I'm going to work on getting something together in the next 2 weeks or so.....
Eric.
------------------
Creative Audio Consultants, inc. Installs, calibrations, consultations.
DVD List:http://www.dvdtracker.com/~EricK
AOL IM screen name : EDKalet6

Andrew V

Stunt Coordinator
Michael and Eric: Do you think I would be able to go along on this Local Meet?
wink.gif

------------------
~Andrew~
~Pronto Programmer~
AIM SN: FFU Productions
ICQ #: 21603991
Home Theater Pictures [Updated: June 22]
Equipment List | My Growing DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks