What's new

Denon 3802 in Canada/Warranty (1 Viewer)

Ed C

Stunt Coordinator
I live in Canada where the 3802 does not appear to be available yet. I know this is the receive I want and am considering purchasing the 3802 from an American online retailer.
Anybody know if Denon's warranty is good only in the U.S. or is it valid in both the U.S. and Canada?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Edmond

Rick P.

Stunt Coordinator
Denon Canada won't honour a U.S. warranty, and Denon America won't fix it if they know you're Canadian (because you should have bought it here). If you really want to buy one right away you might as well buy one from an unauthorized U.S. website who offers their own warranty (and has a good reputation for warranty repairs).
Rick
------------------

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
That sounds like an option. How does that work? Do you buy a a warranty and send it back to them if it needs fixing?

Ed C

Stunt Coordinator
So, we've established that neither Denon of America or Denon Canada will honor the warranty.
Do you know if they will repair a faulty unit? Even if I have to pay for the repairs, the cost can't even come close to the savings on the purchase price.
Thanks,
Edmond

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well you could do something sneaky and meet an American friend (or make one) over the border and ask them to buy it for you. Take it home and use it. If you need it repaired, box it up and meet your American friend and they can bring it in for repair. What a hassle!
I guess they should be able to fix it if you send it to then or bring it there. Makes sense. Wow. Electronics are so much more expensive up here!
[Edited last by Chris PC on August 05, 2001 at 03:23 PM]

Ed C

Stunt Coordinator
Not all electronics are more expensive, just items that are sold through a tightly controlled distributor - like Denon.
Edmond

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Email me again. What things are you looking for in a receiver? Here's my list:
1) A minimum of 100 watts per channel x 6 into 8 ohms and preferably 6.1 (Matrixed is ok)
2) Good and preferably discrete amplifiers able to handle 4 ohm speakers
3) Good sound for music in stereo and any multi-channel stereo or DPL II music modes. Just good music reproduction.
4) Bass management
5) Dolby pro Logic II
6) A nice remote would be cool, but not essential
Any ideas of receivers other than the 3802? What about the Integra 6.2?

Rick P.

Stunt Coordinator
"How does that work? Do you buy a a warranty and send it back to them if it needs fixing?"
Just buy the piece of equipment and if you have a problem send it back to the store to have it fixed under their standard warranty. Note that you'll probably have to cover the cost of shipping one-way, so this could get expensive if you buy something big or heavy. One thing to watch though is the length of the warranty offered. Some of the U.S. sites I've seen only offer a 90-day warranty on their goods, whereas here I think the minimum is always one year for new stuff.
"Do you know if they will repair a faulty unit? Even if I have to pay for the repairs, the cost can't even come close to the savings on the purchase price."
Denon's own service centres would probably fix it, but if it ever developed a problem I think you'd be better off to take it to an independent authorized service shop. It would probably be a bit cheaper.
Rick
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks