Denon 3802 Help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Michael De Costa, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Michael De Costa

Michael De Costa Stunt Coordinator

I can't believe i am going to ask this question but how do you switch between speakers A and B on the Denon 3802. I added another set of speakers in my living room but can not get the unit to switch to play the B speakers. I looked on the unit, the remote and of course the manual but can't find it please help. It's killing me not being able to try out the new speakers. Thanks

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Are you wanting to run a set of speakers in a separate room from your main HT setup? If so, you want to setup the Multi power amp assignment (and Vol. Level) and use the Surround Back (SB) speaker connections, not the B speakers. The B speaker connections are strictly for use of a second set of side surrounds in the main HT setup (see page 17.)

No matter which you're looking for, you need to start over with your setup on page 18 of the manual. You can't skip any of these steps. You may not make any changes but you need to review every possible selection.

If you are using B surrounds, then going through the main setup should finish them up. If you are using a second zone (Multi) for the SB speaker connections, then the wind up for them is on page 47. (BTW, you can only play analog sources thru the Multi setup. No digital signals (the digital converters are dedicated for the main zone only.)

Good luck!

3. Matt_Doug

Matt_Doug Stunt Coordinator

Since you hooked up your speakers I trust you know that only the surround channels can be AB'd and you won't hear anything out of them unless you're in a multichannel mode. The "speaker" button on the remote will toggle between A+B, A, or B. overriding the settings you made during setup.

4. Michael De Costa

What i am trying to do is set up the B's to play the Tuner or CD in both my Home Theater Room and the Living Room at the same time. When using the set up, I found that setting up the B speakers could only be done using the surround mode. The volume level is nothing like the A Mains. I want to have the B also run by itself if I want. It seems that there is no easy way to toggle between speakers A & B. I was only able to identify either both A&B on at once for each sound mode or by themselves. Sometimes I want 5 Channel Music in both rooms and others just in one but could not find out how to configure that way. Does this make more sense? Is it best just to buy another reciever to power the other speakers?

5. Chuck Kent

The 3802 is a "7.1" receiver. 7.1 is really 6.1 with two rear centers (which play the same mono signal.) The rear centers are also known as the Surround Back speakers. But since there are very few 6.1 DVDs and, many users only have room for a standard 5.1 setup (no rear centers), Denon made the 3802 so that you can drive one pair of speakers in a separate zone/room and still have 5.1 in the HT room. (2 speakers in a separate room plus the 5.1 in the HT room = 7.1.)

In addition to that, it's important to understand that the B speakers on your 3802 are NOT the separate Zone 2 speakers. They are NOT B speakers as you might find on other receivers. They can only be used in the main HT room as a second set of side surround speakers. If you want a stereo pair of speakers in another room, they must come from the Surround Back pair of terminals.

The Multi setup that I mentioned earlier is the way to setup and use the Surround Back speakers in a second zone. The speakers connected via the Multi connection can only be stereo and they can only function with analog signals.

If one pair of stereo speakers in a second room will do for you, then the 3802 can do it. But if you want more than 2 channels, then you're going to need a whole 'nuther setup. The 3802 cannot run 2 independent 5.1 setups.

6. Michael De Costa

Chuck thanks. It seems it's time to upgrade and I made another post asking options to consider. Thanks

7. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Michael,

For the 2nd room, you just need a cheap, used stereo preamp or receiver and connect the duplicate sources (ie, tuner, CD, and record out from Denon) to this preamp. Less than 150 bucks used easy. btw, I'm your neighbor in Teaneck and can help.

8. Michael De Costa

Ricky,

I would love to resolve this problem for a small amount of $. Cheap and Quality are not usually associtaed with HT. My problem is that I am always looking to obtain quality components and the thought of a cheaper option did not dawn on my. I should have provided more detail that the living room and dining room speakers would only be used for music. I thought about a second receiver but I don't want to "cheapen" my HT set up having a cheap component with the rest of my rack system. Teaneck. I used to live on Maple Ave (just off cedar lane!)

9. Chuck Kent

Ricky's idea would work fine for 2 channel analog stuff. The 3802's Multi output can also be ran as a separate Record output controller. You could take the signal from one of the record output jacks and run it into a 2nd pre-amp/amp combo, integrated amp or receiver. Then just hook up the speakers from the other rooms into it. You could watch a movie in 5.1 in the HT room and listen to some stereo tunes out in the living room.

One other thought would be to buy an impedence compensated multi-pair speaker switcher. These switches allow multiple pairs of speakers to be safely driven from standard amps. Niles, Recoton and some others make some of these things. This would let you stay with the Surround Back speaker outputs and not have to bother with any extra amps.