Denon 3802 HELP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

I have a denon 3802. Its in my living room.

I was wondering what the capabilities were of the multi-zone feature. Can i play a cd in one zone and the radio in another?

Can I hook one of those keypads up to it from my room?

Seperate vol control?

where can i find a compatible keypad if this is an option?

thanks,
    Anthony Moore

2. Anthony Moore

anyone?

3. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Gotta try to help out a Gator.

I have the 3802 but have not tried the multi-source feature yet.

As per pp 47 in the poorly written manual.

Press the "Rec/Multi" button on the main unit. "M-Source Source" is displayed and then you can use the function dial to change the source around. I think the volume can be adjusted whenever the unit reads "M-Source Source"

To change volume by remote you need to Press the "Receiver" button on the top right until the display reads multi.

I think you can output any source, except digital.

PP 48 also has some wiring diagrams and more info.

I'm not sure about a keypad option

HTH

Tom

4. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator

Anthony,

Yes, you can output different sources using the multi-zone feature. Two different ways to do this. First (my current setup) is to use two of teh 3802's amps to drive the second zone. Doing this means you'll only have 5.1 in the main room, and is enabled in the setup menu by selecting multi-zone instead of surround back (don't remember the exact option).

The second involves using the multi-zone pre-outs. You can then run these to an external amp. Doing this allows you 7.1 in the main room, plus greater flexibility in setting up your multi-room system.

Regarding volume, again two options. If you are just running to one room, I'd program a learning remote with the multi-zone volume control. You can select the multi-zone functions on the 3802 remote by pressing the AMP button until MULTI appears on the display. With the remote in MULTI mode, you can also change sources for the Multi-Zone outputs. If running to multiple rooms (again my setup), I run speaker wire to a connecting block, which then runs to individual Xantech IR/Volume Controls in each room. I leave the multi-zone volume on the Denon at a fixed level, and control the volume in each room at that room's volume control.

This leads to your keypad question. The keypad systems really just generate infrared signals. You have to have a method of getting those infrared signals to the receiver. I've run Cat-5 from each room to a Xantech connecting block, which then distributes the signal through a set of emitters to each component. I've chosen to put an IR receiver in each room, but I could put a keypad if I wanted to.

Hope this helps.

5. Anthony Moore

ok, so all i need to do is buy a keypad/infared sensor for my room...can anyone recommend any?

Also, does the keypad/infared conenct to the reciever through just speaker wire? I know you mentioned cat-5...but how does that hook to the reciever?

if anyone could just recommend a product, that would be great....thanks

6. Anthony Moore

maybe i understand a little more now:

if i get a keypad to change the source and volume, do i just put the infared emmiter from the keypad in front of the receiver somewhere?

7. CameronJ

You're getting there.

You have to somehow get the infrared signal (which is what the keypad is sending) to an emitter that sits right in front of your receiver (and any other components you want to control). As far as I know, you're going to end up having to put together an IR distribution system, as I don't think there's an all-one keypad, wire, emitter option out there. Here's what I would recommend (all prices are from Worthington Distribution:

Xantech Smartpad - $149
    (if you just want an infrared receiver, you can end up in the $35 - $70 price range)
    Cat 5 cable (although you only need 3-4 conductors) - run from the keypad or receiver to the...
    Xantech 789-44 connecting block - $23
    Emitters - $7 - $9 for single - double (double controls two components)

The emitters stick to the IR window on each component.

8. Anthony Moore

thanks!

9. Anthony Moore

can i use 1 emmiter for 2 components if i use one remote for both?

Im gonna go NO keypad, just IR, btw

Also, what remote do i use? and do i just learn it with my denon remote?

10. CameronJ

11. Anthony Moore

great..thanks

one more question: doesnt the emitter cover up the IR sensor on the denon? Does that mean you cant use the regular remote for the main room?

btw, thanks for all the great advice, ive learned a lot just by looking around at the sites of companies you've recommended.

12. CameronJ

The emitter is really small, and it's also made of a transparent plastic that passes the IR signal.

It's amazing how quickly you can become an expert using information on the internet.

13. Anthony Moore

if i buy an amp for the multi-zone , can i have more than 2 sources at once?

14. CameronJ

15. Anthony Moore

got it....thanks