What's new

Denon 3802 has one other new thing! (1 Viewer)

James Elvick

Supporting Actor
Hello All,
I been reading the 3802 manual on line a picked up on another difference other than PL II. During setup of the 6.1 flag source for DTS ES you always had the option of "AFDM"(Automatic Flag Detection Mode for 6.1) on or off, and then the option of non flag sources(PL or 5.1) being played through 5 or 7 speakers. If you picked the 7 speaker option my understanding was that 5.1 or PL sources would be played through all 7 speakers with the surround back speakers receiving the same signal as the normal surrounds.
Now there is a new wrinkle. The choices after AFDM are 7 speaker matrix, 7 speaker or normal 5 speaker playback. In 7 speaker matrix it seems that there is digital signal processing to simulate a ES/EX source instead of a duplication of the surrounds in normal 7 channel mode. Has anyone confirmed this and heard the difference? Can you combine this with PL II processing??
The PL II modes also seem pretty cool. There is some tweaking available to the music and movie modes beyond channel levels and fader. There is Panorama, Center channel Width, and a Fader. I will let you know my impressions on Monday :)
James Elvick
[Edited last by James Elvick on August 04, 2001 at 09:37 AM]

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
I am pretty sure on the 3801 the 7 channel es is in fact matrixed, It takes abit from each side surround to create a back channel. It does not say it is matrixed but it is in fact digitally processed. Correct me if I am wrong here.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yes the 3801 is similar to execute the 7ch matrix,just the menues are changed I guess.
If you go into the "surround parameters" menu while playing DTS or DD material,and you have assigned the back speakers already,in that menu on the bottom would say "matrix on",and there is an arrow to switch it off as well.So it's the same thing,just set up differently.
My understanding that DPLII won't work on top of any discrete formats like DD or DTS,just like NEO won't.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the 3801 had DTS Discrete with the EX matrixed. Is that true? I'm a total rookie, so correct me if I'm wrong.

James Elvick

Supporting Actor
I thought on the 3801 when you set it to 7 speakers and it was just a 5.1 or DPL that the rear speakers just duplicated the other surrounds? Meaning there was no DSP simulation just duplicate information? Did I miss something?
James

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
James as I pointed out early on this is the same thing,just explained in the different section of the manual and menues.
------------------

James Elvick

Supporting Actor
Lewis,
To make sure we are talking about the same thing here I'm not referring to EX or ES material. On the 3801 a DD or DTS 5.1 audio recording with the surround back speakers set to on, will only duplicate the exact same information that is already going to the regular surrounds. It does not add any DSP matrixing of the surrounds and add to the surround back speakers. This new menu on the 3802 appears to do just that. Is that what you are saying?
James

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yes James,
The Matrix on off thing is for DD DTS with or without encoded software.The processor will take the inphase information from the surrounds,and send it to the back surround speakers.It essentially like the Pro Logic decoder for the back.
DSP can't create something it isn't there,I think that is where you confusion lies.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks