1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Denon 3802 - good upgrade for my system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Norcliffe, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Rich Norcliffe

Rich Norcliffe Auditioning

First post here and I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts regarding a possible upgrade.

The British hi-fi press has nothing but praise for the Denon 3802 and frankly my old Sony STR-DB930 is looking long in the tooth. Whilst it still does the job with my Tannoy MXAV4 package, musically it seems to be somewhat lacking in the 2ch stereo mode, seems to struggle with high frequencies and I know my Arcam Alpha7SE is not to blame.

So I guess the question is what is the opinion of a set of excellent Tannoys matched with the Denon 3802. Initially thought about the Marantz SR7200 but I've bad things about the Marantz amp.

Thanks for any comments and suggestions, bear in mind that the Denon fits my budget, I'm no audiophile but I want to get the most out of my System.

Thanks for any views and comments,

Richard

2. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I don't have the Denon 3802, I have a 4802 and it is a great receiver but if you want the receiver for primarily for music, then the Marantz is prolly a better choice. But you couldn't go wrong with either receivers.
    Ken
    oh and welcome to the Forum [​IMG] You will find alot of good information here. But the best choice is to hear the equipment and decide for yourself.

3. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

I have the 3802. Fine rcvr. HK 8000, Sony 5es, JVC 10, Onkyo 898/989, HK 520, are also great rcvrs. The 5es is the only one in the price range and the JVC 10 is the next step up. 898 is two steps up.

In the US these are=

520=$600

3802=$800

5es= $750

10=$920

898=$1100

4. Rich Norcliffe

Rich Norcliffe Auditioning

I'm probably leaning towards the 3802 but I've seen some comments regarding its 2ch music reproduction which is causing me to ponder a while longer. The lack of decent hi-fi shops which stock all brands and enable you to test drive all the systems is certainly a draw back.

Thanks for the replies.

5. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

I was also debating the choice between a 3802, Marantz 7200 (and the Yamaha RX-V1200). I finally opted for the 3802, because of features and upgradebility.

The volume drop out issue didn't do much for the Marantz either.

The 3802 sounds good in stereo (slightly better than the 3801), but my guess is that if you listen to a lot of cd's the marantz will be better.

You should listen to both with your favorite cd's and decide for yourself, though...

6. James_N_H

James_N_H Stunt Coordinator

I am also after either a 7200 or a 3802 as an upgrade for my Marantz 4200, I am certainly leaning towards the marantz on the basis of better music performance and the fact I can get it about £200 cheaper than the Denon. Can I ask what bad things have you heard about the 7200? I have heard about a few problems with the 3802's reliability, has anyone else?

James

7. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

FWIW, I have had no problems whatsoever with my 3802. It has performed flawlessly since day one, so I can't complain at all.

In response to the other posters here, I think the 2-channel "Direct" mode sounds great, but keep in mind that (A) I'm not using the Denon's amps to power my fronts (I've got a separate amp for that) and (B) I use the analog outputs from my CD player, so that may have something to do with it.

Also, the price on this has dropped from $1200 (yeah, I paid retail :b ) to $900, so it's an even better buy now!

8. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

I did have a problem with my first Denon 3802, the tuner had a tendency to mute the left (stereo) channel after a while.

I exchanged it, and have not experienced any problems since.

When you buy a piece of equipment, I don't think you ever have the guarantee that it will be perfect. It has happened to me quite often that I had to bring something back to the store to have it replaced. That's what warranty is all about. Denon is a respected manufacturer, but don't expect perfection from anyone.

The only real weak spot the Denon 3802 has is the lack of digital inputs (only 1 coaxial) so if you're going to use a lot of coaxial devices it isn't for you. I use the CD-player DAC anyway, and my DVD-player is hooked up the TOSLink way, so it isn't a problem for me.

The remote is great compared to similarly priced competitors, but I've recently found you have to replace the batteries every 4 to 6 months.

9. ArnaudP

ArnaudP Stunt Coordinator

I have a 3802 and I use Tannoy Mx series with it. I couldn't be happier with the sound quality in HT and music listening mode both in 2ch and DVD-A. I would agree with Willem with the weak spot. It should have a least an other digital input. I never used the remote that came with the 3802. I bought a MX500 and I love it.

10. Edward M

Edward M Stunt Coordinator

ArnaudP,
    I need a replacement remote for my 3801....if you ever feel inclined to sell the original remote contact me at [email protected]
    Ed