What's new

Denon 3802 From 6th Ave Report (1 Viewer)

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Ok guys I got it today and have it mostly hooked up and playing a DVD as I type.
THE GOOD
1. MADE IN JAPAN
THIS IS A VERY BIG PLUS
2. HEAVY
3. CAME IN 4 DAYS UNDAMAGED FROM 6TH AVE
4. WORKED OUT OF THE BOX
5. MORE TO FOLLOW
THE BAD BUT NOT UGLY
1. NO WHERE DOES IT SAY TO HOOK IT UP TO A TV OR YOU WILL NEVER FIND THE SETUP MENU:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
2.SPEAKER TERMINALS ARE TOO CLOSE TOGETHER FOR MY FAT FINGERS
3.HOW DO YOU CHANGE THE CHANNELS FROM THE REMOTE?????
4. HOW DO YOU MANUALY TUNE FROM THE REMOTE???
5. HOW DO YOU MANUALLY TUNE AT ALL????
6. TUNER IS WEAK ON PULLING IN WEAK STATIONS
7. MANUAL NEEDS TO BE WRITTEN BY SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY HOOKS THIS UP FOR THE FIRST TIME
8. MORE TOO FOLLOW
This is my first impression after two hours. It will change with time as I learn how to best make it work.
I'm playing a dvd in 7.1 simulated out of 5.1 discrete as we type.
My JBL S312(for center channel) comes tommorrow with my 333es mega changer. Then I can put Abby Road on in 7 channel stereo and melt my ears.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Aliens from primus have 4 thumbs.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Update:
I read the whole manual and the FM tuner instructions are scattered in at least two places. But it is there if you look hard/real hard!
The 7 channel stereo is awesome/good volume on all channels.
You will need a good antennae with this beast. I'm using rabbit ears to get by.
Compared to my old JVC av888, it is a hudge upgrade.
It did not come with a warranty card, but it did come with a full written US warranty in the box from Denon and 6th ave is an authorized dealer. The box was addressed direct from Denon to 6th Ave. Serial numbers intact and double boxed.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Earle,
I hope that you are happy with your purchase overall. Since I do not own a 3802 I can only offer input on one of the minuses:
2.SPEAKER TERMINALS ARE TOO CLOSE TOGETHER FOR MY FAT FINGERS
Buy banana plugs! :)
As for the "made in Japan" part, I thought Denon's stipulation with providing a warranty on their products was that it had to be From Denon of America (if you're from America). So I wonder if these means you don't have a warranty from Denon (though you most likely do from 6th AVE) or are Denon of America Products really not "of America?" Or do I just not understand how things work in the world of Denon?
Hopefully some other members will chime in with answers to your questions. Enjoy your reciever.
Dan Hine

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
It doesn't come with a warranty card....u can read it where it says which r included in the package. It only has that warranty statement and it would suffice.
I've had this thing since September and I think its OK overall. Its set-up does need some reading and stuff, but I think they've designed this thing not for the newbie. So consider urself complemented when u do get it running properly.:D

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
LOL join the club. I just got my 3801, and have been huffing and puffing my way up the learning curve for a couple days now. I want to take the guy who wrote the manual, stick his head down the toilet, and flush a few times.

I honestly think someone could do good business writing clear, plain language manuals for products like this and selling them separately. Kind of like the "hints" book you need to play a computer game which contains all the essential information that should have been in the original manual. They make good coin selling those for software. Why not hardware? Heck, I'd pay $20 for a really good manual for my receiver. No brainer.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I guess I need to get some banana plugs for these banana hands.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Also, yes it is from Denon of America/ but made in Japan for everything from the box to the printed material and the 3802. Once in a while you can still get something from that great electronics country.
Its like buying a Mercedes from Germany!!!!
Yes, I was surprised I had it hooked up and running in two hours/really one hour(1 hour was calling Steve at 6th ave for help on the set up menu). There should be a big note to hook it up to your TV or kiss the set up good by.
I always run my video direct after I purchased a real tv with loads of independent hook ups.
6th ave has a 30 day defect exchange and a 14 day satisfaction plan. These guys and JR have been real good to deal with.
Like I said, If I had a local dealer I would have put the hurts on them. The BX is higher than the local stores and you have to special order all the high end stuff.:D

ChrisMM

Auditioning
Earl,

this is good news and thanks for the tips. My 2802 arrives on Tuesday from 6th Avenue. I got a great deal from them.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Two topics guys=

1. Bass management

I read on the Denon site that setting all speakers to small except the fronts will increase bass with no sub woofer???!!!!!!! I tried it and I think my center+surrounds set to small has more bass for the center and the bass overall may be cleaner!

I may be freaking out too!

Someone else try it.

2. Keeping speaker level settings for each mode!

Right!!!! Anyone know how to do this and keep it in memory for each mode?

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Eric/does yours have the learn function on the remote? If ti does check it out. I programed almost all my DBS buttons into the Denon remote>:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Question??? I was thinking again! Pretty dangerous eh! Could you hook up a 70 volt pa amp and run off a RCA output from the back of the 3802 to run a background music in the rest of the house. And can you do this while watching 7 channel movies?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks