Denon 3802 for $699 vs. Sony STR-DA5ES for $750???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas Molnar, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Thomas Molnar

Seeing how I just got the 5ES, I am curious as to how the two differ? Since the price is so close, is one superior to the other?

Tom

2. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Both are exceptional receivers at exceptional prices. I have the 3802 and I simply love it. It tons of features and great sound. There is alot 3802 owners on this board and will all mention to you the same thing. They love their 3802 [​IMG] Now I have also heard from 5ES people and they love their Sony as well. Your best bet is to see if you can get a 3802 & a 5ES in your house and compare the two. That is the true test on determining which one is a keeper to you. Because everyone has personal tastes on what sound their looking for on a receiver. Some like a warmer laid back sound which Denon is known for and while some would like a little brighter and more detail sound would go towards the Sony. Each receiver has a unique sound, go for the one that your fits your listening needs.

3. Thomas Molnar

looks like I will be keeping the Sony because it has 4 optical inputs (xbox, ps2, dvd, tivo). i know the 3802 only has 3.

4. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

You could always use the coax input for your DVD player if you DVD player has a coax out.

5. Thomas Molnar

Greg

I just got the new Panasonic 32 S and it only has optical out.