Denon 3802 DPL2 popping

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Willem Vos, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

I just noticed that switching from DD6.1 to DPL2 by pressing the menu-key (thus entering the non-DD menu) on my dvd remote is accompanied by a short "pop" sound in one of my speakers.

It's not the clicking sound when the receiver is going from 7.1 to 5.1 amplification. That doesn't worry me.

What I mean is a pop coming out of one of the speakers (usually one of them, not the same speaker each time)

It happens when I'm watching a movie in DD, and go back and forth to the dvd-menu (which is not in DD, so the receiver reverts to DPL2)

Just to be sure, I double-checked all connections, and it definitely isn't related to that.

Setting DPL Cinema or Music doesn't matter (I thought maybe switching the cinema-eq circuit from on to off was causing it)

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Willem Vos

Are there any Denon 3802 owners out there????

3. Darrel Johansen

Darrel Johansen Stunt Coordinator

I have not heard this on my 3802, but I don't listen at really high levels. Usually a pop is caused by some sort of DC riding on the audio. In this case, it might be some bias voltage present in the DD or DPL decoder. I'll try again soon to see if I can detect any clicks, but so far I've not noticed anything on mine.

4. Willem Vos

Well, I was listening at -15, normal viewing level.

And it's not a click, it's more a poff. When switching back to the movie in Dolby Digital everything goes smoothly.

I'm calling denon tomorrow.

If it's just my 3802 that's doing it, would this be enough reason to take it back to the store?

Sure would like to hear some more people's experiences on this...I know of at least one member that has the same problems as I do. Anybody?

5. Willem Vos

6. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

I replied on the other post as well.

Yes, I can recreate the "pops" on my 3802, at lower volume levels (

7. Willem Vos

Thanks DougO,

Are you going to have your unit replaced, or are you going to get another model?

I just bought mine a week ago, and I'm considering my options...

That's why I want to know from some more 3802 users if this thing is inherent to this unit, or if it can be resolved by replacing it. I really love the sound of the 3802.

8. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

Honestly, I'm going to keep looking and demoing in home. So the 3802 goes back. Before I saw your "pop" post, I was planning to test new waters -- now I know other units are less than stellar, merely hastening my store return trip. You know, though slimy in outward appearance, one could keep on buying and returning new stuff every 30 days and always know the latest and greatest first hand!! Hmmmm....

Next up? Yamaha 2200 or Onkyo 898. Ah, the beauty of consumers spending dough at the local B&M....

9. Willem Vos

Well, I'd like to have one unit and stick with it.

I never had any problems with my "old" 3801, so thusfar I have been very satisfied with Denon. I just really wanted DPL2, but if that means getting these kind of problems, I'm out.

The denon is the only viable buy at the moment feature-wise. I need 7 channels, so that leaves out all competition in the price range.

I'm calling denon tomorrow, see what they say about the issue. There should be a lot of 3802 owners in this forum, but so far DougO and myself are the only ones that have encountered the speaker popping.

That should mean we just have defective units and should have them replaced. Of course, getting a different make/model is also an option, but the only receiver I would consider for that (marantz 8200) is not being sold in Europe.

10. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

I have had a similar problem (loud noise at layer change and when switching from menus to movie on occasional DVDs) with a Denon 3802 when the input mode is set to "AUTO" -Solved it by leaving the input on PCM unless I am watching a DTS disc in which case I set DTS. So far so good.

11. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I am using a 3802 (as 5.1) with a Pioneer 414 DVD player. No pops at all when going back to the menu (or visa-versa.)

12. Thomas F

Thomas F Stunt Coordinator

DougO wrote:

You know, though slimy in outward appearance, one could keep on buying and returning new stuff every 30 days and always know the latest and greatest first hand!! Hmmmm....

I personally know someone who did just that for a year. He would purchase an Onkyo 787 (7 times), Onkyo 696 (3 times, and a couple of HK's, each time returning them on the 30'th day to different CC in the area and then purchasing another receiver, usurally the identical model, from a different CC. I remember walking into a CC and asking about an open box 787 (marked down $100) that this individual returned the previous day and the salesman swore up and down that it had never been plugged in since it still had the protective plastic film on the display. Little did he know. He did this until the Denon 3802's came out which he eventually purchased, which was what he really wanted in the first place.

13. Willem Vos

I've been testing... trouble is, when I find something wrong, I want to get to the bottom of it.
    Willow DVD: loud pop when going to menu (reason for posting)
    Last of the Mohicans DVD: no problems
    Strange Days DVD: loud pop when going to menu
    Platoon DVD: everything went hunky dory, then when I switched BACK to the movie: loud pop.
    Something is definitely amiss, and I don't need to test further methinks.
    I called the denon importer (in Germany, the Dutch importer is pretty much incompetent)
    They said it wasn't normal and should contact the store.
    Called the store, they said they hadn't heard of it, but they also said they haven't sold that many because denon wasn't supplying a lot of units. As soon as they would get some, they could try and recreate it themselves.
    So, I'm just going to have to wait till after the holidays to get this thing sorted.
    It could be a miscombination with my Pioneer DV-525 DVD player, but I never had any problems with my 3801, so I'm pretty much ruling that out.
    I still want the 3802, so I'm going to sit this one out until I get a good Denon 3802.[​IMG]

14. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

I got the popping sound when using two different brand new DVD players: 1) a Sony 2) a Pioneer.

By the way, I have recommended this unit to friends (though mine does pop). I'm seriously considering a significant upgrade to get a few more bells & whistles. How do you know you're truly satisfied until you've climbed the ladder a bit more? ;o)

15. Willem Vos

Well, when your wallet is empty... the upgrading is complete :)

16. Toni Matla

Toni Matla Auditioning

Hi Willem,

Where did You buy the Denon ??

Just curious....;-))

Bye,

Toni.

17. Willem Vos

Hi Toni, welcome to the forum.
    I bought mine in Germany.
    website of the store is www.audioklang.de
    Previously bought a Yamaha RX-V595a and a Denon 3801 from them and both worked without a hitch.
    BTW, This is a repost of this problem-question, because the other post wasn't getting a lot of attention.
    This is what David A. Frattaroli said about it in the other post:

18. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

I have a 3802, I have never heard any pops or clicks....
    It's the best receiver I've ever had... [​IMG]
    -Ryan

19. Willem Vos

Ryan, what kind of setup do you have?

20. Toni Matla

Toni Matla Auditioning

Thanks Willem,

I asked this, because I am also looking for a new receiver.

Right now I have the AVR-3300, but I want the DPLII !!

Shopping in Germany, is it much more cheaper as in Holland ?

What is the amount in difference ?

Bye,

Toni.