Denon 3802 DPL2 mode storing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Willem Vos, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

Is it possible to make the 3802 remember the DPL2 setting independently in DVD mode and CD mode?

When I set it to Music in CD mode, it automatically applies to the DVD mode as well...

2. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

No - unfortunately you can't. That was a big gripe I had about the 3802. But now, I listen to everything in DPLII Music mode - so it doesn't matter. I used the settings in the music mode to get it to sound how I like it, and leave it there. The logic steering is the same, but the music mode will give you a fuller sound.

Try it, you may like it.

Bryan

3. Willem Vos

Ok thanks,

is this even possible with any other receiver with DPL2?

4. Willem Vos

Also, Bryan, what settings are you using with Music mode?

5. Bryan Acevedo

In my setup, my music settings are:

Panorama: On

Center Width: 3

Dimension: 3

Panorama off or on I can't tell the difference, so I just leave it on, because I just need to do some more testing and find some good source material to try it out on. It may or may not make a difference.

Center width to 3 gives you a nice full front soundstage. The settings work like this: 0-2 gives the center channel full volume, with the mains gradually getting louder; 3 gives a full volume to all 3; 4-6 gives the mains full volume while the center channel gradually cuts out. I like 3 because I didn't want my mains to be cut in signal, but I also wanted my center channel to help anchor the dialogue.

Dimension kind of "connects" the front and rear speakers. I haven't played with this a lot, but a setting of 3 gave me a nice connected sound between the front and surround speakers. Again, I just need to get some good source material to play and tweak this with.

To me, the center width is what gave me the best results. Cinema mode still collapses everything to the center channel, and that gets annoying when trying to watch TV. Sometimes we would watch MTV, or CMT, and I would switch it to music mode anyway. It's funny how much music TV actually has. It's not just dialogue anymore. The music mode makes it all sound pretty good, as well as enhancing the dialogue.

Now if I were going to watch a Pay-per-view, I might change it back to the cinema mode, but most likely not. The music mode just sounds much better to me.

Bryan

6. Willem Vos

Thanks again Bryan.

The Center Width 3 setting definitely gives more presence to the movie... the only gripe I still have is that the Cinema-Eq doesn't appear in the music mode (which is understandable). But otherwise the muisc mode DOES sound better, and conceivably louder with those settings.

BTW, I listen most dvd films at -10 volume and I haven't calibrated my levels (FR/FL at 0)

Does this sound about right?

7. Bryan Acevedo

What speakers do you have? I usually listen at about -15, but I have calibrated my levels with the internal test tones to 75db (SPL meter) with a volume setting of 0. I have very efficient Klipsch speakers (RB5, RC3, RCW3), and my levels are like -3 for the mains, -5 for the center and the surrounds are like -1 and -3. The sub is set to 0 and calibrated with its own level control (Velodyne SPL 1200).

I personally don't care for the cinema eq, but I know it helps for some people. In my opinion, it really "flattens" the sound. Experiment with those settings, you may be able to find a setting that you really like. I will probably do some more tweaking this weekend.

Good luck!

Bryan

P.S. I listen to DVD's in Dolby Digital, which does have the Cinema EQ. I wouldn't suggest using it for TV programming, as it is intended to be used with movies that have been mixed for a theater and may have a little more high end than needed for a home environment.