Denon 3802 display in 6.1 (3803 too?)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Stephen Bort, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Stephen Bort

Stephen Bort Agent

Whenever I play DTS-ES, the display panel always says "DTS ES." But whenever I play a movie with DD-EX, the display is still "Dolby D." How do I know that it's picking up on the EX and not just giving me the normal 5.1?

Do I need to switch it over so that the display says "6.1" or is that just for when you want to receiver to do the fake matrix?

I guess the Auto Flag detection still confuses me.

I've been wondering this for a while but just recently became a forum member.

2. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    If your front panel says Dolby D, that means it is only playing back 5.1

If you have AFDM (auto detect) on, that means the denon will only enable 6.1 if the disc is "flagged" to tell the reciever to use 6.1

To "force" the denon into 6.1, turn off AFDM. I I beleive you hit the "on screen" button on the remote, which will bring up the surround mode screen. Make sure you have a DVD playing that is encoded in Dolby digital 5.1 while you do this. Youll be able to turn off AFDM, and there will be a surround back speaker adjustment. I think the options are

MATRIX (wich means 6.1 EX)

NON MATRIX (surround backs are on, but not decoding as 6.1)

OFF

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You should be able to engage EX manually just fine if the disc is misflagged, or on "regular" 5.1 discs.

4. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

I may be wrong...but I don't believe the 3802 has EX processing. (At least the official "Dolby" version)

5. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    They just didnt pay the liscencing fee to call it EX. It still does the same processing to achieve EX.