Denon 3802 connection questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Harvey, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

I have the opportunity to upgrade to a 3802 at a very attractive price, but have a couple of questions I couldn't readily answer simply by viewing the PDF manual on Denon's site. Any help appreciated!

For reference, my setup is a Toshiba TW40F80 16:9 tv, Infinity RS-5 mains, Infinity center & powered sub, Infinity Minuette rear surrounds, Denon 3000 DVD.

(1) It appears the 3802 outputs setup info (overlays) to the video signal, I assume to overlay info like volume, speaker settings, mode, etc. In my situation, I currently have coax cable going into Cable 1, and my DVD going into component inputs on Video 2. The manual says the 3802 won't output monitor info on the component outputs, but it doesn't have a coax input/output either so I can't output overlays there either. How will this work? Should I just plug a composite output into my Video 1 and go to a blank signal input to view my monitor info?

(2) I can't find many reviews on the 3802, but one on the 3801 claimed that if you hook up multi-zone that you can't select a digital source on multi-zone. Is this true? I currently have a pair of speaker running into another room in the house, and I currently can output my DVD/CD audio to those speakers from my Sony STR-DE915. Will I lose this capability?

(3) The 3801 also appears to be unable to directly select an input source without scrolling through modes. Can the 3802 do a direct select? Even better, can I set it up that if I select CD, it automatically inputs from my DVD player and sets output to 5-channel stereo, but if I select DVD it selects my DVD player and sets output to DD/DTS auto-detect?

(4) Are there any features on the unit not selectable from the remote? I'll immediately want to program my Marantz RC2000 MkII with the 3802 functions.

(5) I've heard horror stories on selecting radio stations through the remote. How bad is it? I rarely listen to radio on my main system, but would at least like to know what to expect.

Thanks for any help!

Rich

2. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

I've only had mine two weeks. So here it goes. Great machine / made in Japan/Nipon.

I use the RCA out for the on screen menu and switch inputs on the RPTV when I need it.

The Sony DA5es and Onkyo 898(989 has awesome abilities in this area)have a little better set up for this. You may want to consider this before you buy.

I run all my video direct, so I don't use the 3802 for video processing. If I did , I would have bought the 898 or 5es. They are better machines for that function.

The remote is fully programmable/nice unit. I am not sure the volume buttons are programmable on the Denon remote. I had to use the 4 way button on the Denon remote for my TV volume. But I was able to program every button on my TV and DBS remote into my Denon remote. I'm so impressed I am looking for a second remote for my bedroom.

The settings for each mode are saved. example= I have 7 channel stereo set for CD and DBS and dolby2 for DVD. All of that plus the volume levels for the speakers are saved for each mode.

The tuner is fine once you read all the instructions(please read the back of the manual first for the tuner.

The tuner must have a good antennae for FM reception in distant areas. Weaker tuner than my JVC.

I have not tried the multi room function, but it should work.

Be advised the 5es has more options in that area. I just don't need them at this time.

I fully recommend the 3802/and would not rule out the 898 and 5es if my budget permitted.

PS/ I'm not a Sony fan, but when they do it right, it is the best you can get. You have to pick and choose. The Sony bashing I have seen is totally off base. I have had or have the following= JVC, Sony, RCA, GE, Onkyo, Pioneer, Kenwood, JBL, Altec, Sansui, CV,Sherwood,Marantz,Teac, Akai,Technics, and more products. They all make great stuff. Denon 3802 is my first Denon product and I could not be more pleased.

3. Earl Simpson

Just got my order from parts express!
    I needed the banana plugs for my 12 awg wire.
    Nice company! Yea the 8 AWG banana plugs were great. A little over kill but better to be safe than sorry. Both the tip and the top are threaded into the housing. The hole(stacking plug) in the end is big enough to stick a 12 AWG through it and put a 90 degree bend at the end and cinch it down.
    They are having a cable sale. I picked up a gold plated extra heavy 12' combo cable with SVHS and TOSLINK for $10.60. WOW!!!!! 12' SVHS+gold(heavy) for $2.95. And some heavy RCA+gold, 12' for $2.57. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

So is there a way to see volume on the TV screen while say, watching a DVD? I know that Yamhamas can do this.

5. Earl Simpson

Jason/ If you do not want to switch inputs from your remote for the tv to see the menu of the Denon, you have to run all your video through the Denon so whatever you are watching you can access the menu. But if you don't mind switching inputs to see the menu you can go video direct.

I'm going for the pure picture and hassle with the inputs for the Denon menu.

6. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Richard,go to www.audioreview.com Click on receivers.On the left of the page they have a heading for professional reviews.I found at least 3 reviews on the 3802.Hope this helps.
    Wayner