Denon 3802 Component Video Switching: what connectors to use??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil T, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Phil T

Phil T Agent

I'm using the component video switch on my 3802 to switch video sources to my HDTV monitor. The cable to my monitor (run behind the walls during construction) is RG6. Therefore I'm using "F" to RCA adaptors screwed onto the RG6 F connectors. Everything seems OK except that once in awhile the middle of the 3 component outputs "monitor out" on my receiver loses contact ("oops, why is everything pink, where's my blue?"). I have to push it in VERY tightly to regain contact again.

Changing brands of adaptors doesn't seem to help. It's almost as if the connection on the receiver is not making good contact with these types of adaptors. I'm at a loss as to how to improve the reliability of this connection.

Anyone else see this before?? Any ideas??

2. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Phil,

Maybe the RG6 is bad?

You could always try a cheap A/V set of cables to substitue as component cables....

See if those have the same issue.

-Ryan

3. Phil T

Phil T Agent

Hi Ryan. Are you saying the crimped-on "F" connector may be bad or loose? I kind of thought those things were practically fool-proof.

If I can make one clarification, it's almost as if it's the last 1/32" that completes the connection to the receiver, and it's only the center connection that has an issue. Maybe it's a problem with that input on the Denon? Regardless, I'll try your idea of temporarily using a set of ready-made audio cables and see if the problem persists.

Thanks.