Denon 3802 center channel No Bass

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JeffB, May 12, 2003.

1. JeffB

JeffB Extra

Just noticed a problem with the center channel output. I'm getting NO bass from the center speaker. Ive tried setting all speakers to large with no sub but it didn't make a difference. This happens in all modes even 5/7 channel stereo. Tried new speaker cable and banana plugs. If I hook up the center speaker to the right or left channel it sounds great so I know the speaker is OK. But when hooked up to the center it lacks almost all bass. It sounds like it always has a low freq crossover active at 2-300 Hz. Processor reset didn't make a difference. My unit is out of warranty now so Im not sure it is worth it to take in for service. Any suggestions?

2. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

Umm maybe it just me....but I have always thought that their was no bass being sent to the center channel. Why would there be? Did you use to have bass and now you don't? But I am still under the impression that there shouldn't be any bass to the center channel. I have honestly never thought about it. I also don't use 5/7 channel stereo eather. Because stereo to me is L/R only. Sorry if I was no help. Mike

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

You should get a fullrange signal from the center if you have set the unit up as no sub and everything else as "Large". I know I did with my old 3802 and do now with my 3803.

Have you tried running the speaker wire from the 3802's center output to one of the mains? Then testing the center output again? If you are only testing the one speaker in the actual center position, the physical location could be affecting it's bass level.

Oh and you should be using actual bass test frequencies from CD or DVD. Music or movies alone are just too subjective...

4. JeffB

JeffB Extra

I moved the center speaker and connected the wires for the right channel. I didn't think of connecting the right channel speaker to the center. I'll try that first thing tomorrow with some test tones. When I did have the center hooked up to the right you could see the woofers move and feel the air moving from the ports. On the center output you cannot see any movement in the cones or any air movement from the ports. I'll try to find out what kind of frequency response I get from it when I put in the test tones tomorrow. Thanks for your time.

5. JeffB

JeffB Extra

After some experimentation with test tones I have found that the center does indeed output appropriate levels of bass in all modes EXCEPT 5/7 channel mode. (original post was in error) I ran tones up to 200Hz and get no output from the center channel in 5/7 channel. My initial panic has been quelled as I don't really use 5/7 for anything, but I really am curious as to why this is happening. Anyone else care to check and see if you have any bass form the center channel in 5/7 mode? (w/no sub and speakers set to large)

6. DonT

DonT Stunt Coordinator

jeff, i believe the reason is because in 5/7 mode only ther voice or singing information is transmitted to the center channel...remember 5/7 mode is a STEREO mode, and as such the only information that would be sent to the center channel is voice frequencies, regardless of "large" or "small" settings.

7. Zacha R

Zacha R Stunt Coordinator

I think it might be to stop bass doubling between the left speaker and centre, and between the right speaker and centre.

8. JeffB

JeffB Extra

OK after checking the manual it says, "The in-phase component of the left and right channels is output from the center channel". I used NCH Tone Generator and recorded my own test tones in mono not stereo. With a mono signal shouldn't all of it be routed to the center? It appears I don't understand this as well as I thought.