What's new

Denon 3802 - bright? (1 Viewer)

Paul Chalk

Stunt Coordinator
I was testing some B&W speakers today, more specifically the CM2's, and the salesman asked what I was using as an amp. I told him I was planning on using my Denon 3802 as a preamp and then adding a power amp (possibly Rotel or Bryston). He recommended that I get an integrated amp instead as the Denon is a bright preamp. Is this true?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
The answer is in your ears.

He was just trying to get a sale out of you.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Denon? Bright? Um, I think not, but let your ears be the final judge. IMO, I consider Yamaha stuff to be bright, but certainly not Denon.

David Judah

Screenwriter
It is brighter than previous models, but I wouldn't call it bright in absolute terms. Interestingly, the newer Yamahas(1200, 2200, & 3200)are not as open sounding as their predecessors.

In the comparisons I've done between the 1200 and the 3802, the Yamaha was the warmer sounding of the two by a very slight margin. It definitely is a switch from the convention based on previous models where the Denons gained their reputation as warmer sounding.

DJ

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Compared to Yamaha which I had before, it actually less bright...don't know if that makes sense.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
I have to agree with David. The new yammies seem to be warmer then thier Denon counterparts. I can not make comments on the past models from either maker as I never compared the two before, but when I went shopping for a receiver just last week I compared Denon to Yamaha and it seemed quite clear to me (and to two of my buddies with me) that that Yamaha was warmer and more musical then the Denon (especially the 2802).
It really surprised me at the store because I read here on HTF that the yammies are considered very bright while Denon is rather warm. So I guess the moral of the story is that it's good to do your home work (here on HTF) but you really do have to get yourself into the store and just listen to all the equipment and make your final decision based on what you hear. I admit I avoided the Marantz due to reports of quality problems, but I gave Denon/Yamaha a good chance. In the end I went with a Yammie.
However, I don't think anyone has yet answered your question. Is the Denon a bright pre-amp? I always thought the amp section plays a bigger role in the sound characteristics. Perhaps adding a "warm" external amp would make up for any brightness in the Denon's pre-amp section. But I'm no expert here, just trying to get the ball rolling... ;)
- Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks