Denon 3802 Bass Management Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesMart, Feb 6, 2002.

1. JamesMart

JamesMart Agent

Ok, I'm trying to EQ my sub, and the question I have is this. I put a CD with test tones in my Panny RP-91 and turn my reciever to accept the optical in (so my CD is going through the optical cable) I set the Denon to Stereo Mode, and disconect the front speakers. My question is, If I have the crossover in the Reciever set to 80 Hz, will it be crossing over my cd test tones, or will I be getting the full range sent to my sub. If I'm going about this all wrong, can some one with the experience of calibrating a sub using the Denon 3802 give me a hand.

Thanks,

Jim

2. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

I would think that anything under 80Hz will be sent to your subwoofer, regardless.

That is, only if you've set your other speakers as "small".

But there are probably a lot more experienced ppl here that can give more experienced answers...

3. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

Probably the best path for you to follow is the old tried and proven Video Essentials (or Avia) test discs and a Radio Shack SPL meter (there are lots of posts about this in here). I was just wondering why you disconnected your front speakers?

4. JamesMart

JamesMart Agent

Tom,

Because I am trying to EQ my sub, so I don't want my front speakers interfearing with the results I'm trying to get from my Sub

Thanks,

Jim

5. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

James: I tried a few variations & came up with this system:

1. Set front speakers to "small" (my normal setting)

2. Set center / surrounds to "none"

3. Set subwoofer to "yes"

4. Crossover at 80hz (my normal setting)

5. Disconnect front speaker wires from speakers.

For some reason when I disconnected the speakers wires at the receiver I got no output on the sub.

I eq'd my sub as flat as possible all the way up to 100hz.

6. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

James: It's my understanding that the Denon's subwoofer output is filtered at 24 db/octave above the selected crossover point.

IMO, it's fine to use a test CD to help balance your sub to the rest of your setup. But I also feel that a test DVD (like AVIA) is also indispensable.

7. JamesMart

JamesMart Agent

Cool, thanks everyone for the help. Chuck, I have AVIA, but it does not have freq. sweeps? At least I don't think it does???

Thanks,

Jim

8. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

James,

If what you are trying to do is properly integrate your sub within the rest of your system, I think you are going about it the wrong way. The sub does not work in a vacuum. It interacts with the other speakers. In other words, the frequencies above and below the crossover point are a combination of all the speakers, not just the sub. For example, the 90Hz frequency is made up of sound from the sub as well. Not just the main, center or surround speakers. If you eq the sub on it's own, you will not end up with a flat response once the whole system is working.

Use Avia, which has a very complete set up to integrate the sub properly into the system. This includes sweeps for all the speakers. Using Avia with a spl meter will allow you to set up the system so the response is smooth and even throughout the frequency range.

Larry

9. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

Hello James,

You are doing it the correct way. Avia is for balancing sound levels not for EQ. Some well meaning people are trying to help you "balance" your sub to your system which is correct but is not the same as EQ'ing the sub.

Get as flat as response as possible, taming only the peaks and forget about the nulls unless you can move the sub to another location. After you've finished with the EQ setup go back to AVIA and reset the levels to balance the sub to the rest of your system. You'll be suprised probably by how much louder you'll now have your sub setting compared to the pre EQ.

Good Luck,

James Elvick

10. JamesMart

JamesMart Agent

Thanks James,
    [​IMG] I thought thats what they were trying to tell me to do. Well, I got it all done, and yes, it is amazing how much better it sounds. The only isue I ran into was like you said how much louder I have to crank the sub level with respect to the mains. I have my sub level on my Denon all the way up to 10 and my amp sub level almost maxed. are those settings normal after EQing the sub? Thanks everyone for all the help, and sorry if I was not clear.
    Thanks,
    Jim

11. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

Is the sub corner loaded? As in a corner[​IMG] That always gives the most output. Mine is a +5 and before EQ is was at -6.
    James

12. JamesMart

JamesMart Agent

James,

Yes, it is corner loaded. I was getting some serious peaks with it this way, and only a few minor valley. I EQed the sub to get as flat as possible around the 85 db (corrected) level. Oh, I guess I should mention this is not an SVS sub, this is an Audiosource sub, my SVS will be here tomorrow. Prior to having the sub EQed I ran it at around the -1 level. with the sub volume at about half way. What are your thoughts.

Thanks,

Jim