Denon 3802 bad center signal

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeT, Oct 21, 2002.

1. DeT

DeT Agent

Hi,

I brought my entire Diva system about couple months ago, everything perfect except for the center. I thought that the center speaker acting up, but after careful examination by other people, it seem that the Denon is sending bad center signal into my center channel. I guess I own Sean of av123 a big apology for moan and groan about my center speaker all this time :b

If I stick my ear really close to the tweeter of the center speaker, I don't hear alot comming from it, maybe half of what should have been like the other channel, or less (5 channels stereo mode). That may explain why everything from the center sound so boxy all this time. I have swap speaker and I can confirm that something is acting up in the center channel of the Denon. I haven't try to swap cable yet, maybe I will later. But the current cable use banana plugs on both end, so the contact points is good.

So can anyone give an opinion on what's going on? I'll contact the place where I brought the Denon later, but the thought of shipping it out for a repair leaving me without my music is not very cool.

Thanks

2. Thang_N.

Thang_N. Stunt Coordinator

Hi Det,

Sorry I can't be much of any help, but I am glad you got that issue resolved with your Center Channel. Those speakers look really nice. Too bad AV123 doesn't sell them anymore. Good luck with finding out the problem.

I bought a 4 year warranty with my Denon so they said they would give me a sufficient replacement if I had to ever send it back for repairs... KNOCK ON WOOD..

3. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

DeT,

I might be of some help here. I noticed the same phenomenon with my Denon 3802 in 5 channel stereo and the center channel "boxiness". After removing the center channel speaker cables from the back of the Denon and hooking them up to the FR, FL, SR, SL on the back of the Denon, I noticed an immediate improvement in the sound from the center channel. Great, I thought, at least it is not my speaker (Paradigm Studio CCv2). I even went to the trouble of packing up my receiver and carting it to the AV store that I bought it from and luckily, they know their equipment well. After running various diagnostics through the machine, the owner stopped in mid-test and kind of slapped his forehead. "Of course it does not sound the same. The center channel is a blend of the stereo." In other words, the FR and FL are in stereo and the SR and SL are in stereo, but the center channel, by definition, cannot be. The receiver employs a sort of DSP only for the center channel when engaged in 5 channel stereo (a misnomer). That is why the center channel sounds relatively lifeless compared to the other speakers in that mode.

4. morrisjones

morrisjones Agent

When I moved to San Rafael a few years ago and set up my stereo, for about a week my center channel sounded really muddy -- no highs. I didn't remember it sounding that way at all.

I discovered that the shorting bar between the two sets of terminals had shaken loose, and my speaker wires were only driving half of the speaker.

Check for that.

Mojo

5. DeT

DeT Agent

Thanks guys for giving me some ideas on this issue.

I hope you are right David Berry, because I really don't want to ship my receiver out for repair only to have nothing wrong with it (I have to pay for shipping). But that explanation you gave sound about right.

morrisjones, I have make the mistake of not connect the cable real tight before and did notice that only the woofer is making sound. This happen with my surround a long time ago and I quickly learn the lesson on that. So that was one of the first thing I check with the center channel this time.

DeT

6. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

DeT,

The tweeter output was also the most obvious shortcoming that I noticed as well. It sounded extremely thin and lifeless - as though only half of the signal was passing and not only that, but was distorted as well.

David