What's new

Denon 3802 and radio (1 Viewer)

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
I posted this in the middle of the long "Denon and 6ave" thread, but it wasn't getting any response. So, I thought I'd start a new thread.

I just got my 3802 today.

For some reason I can't seem to change the tuner to listen to different radio stations using the remote. The only way I can listen to stations is to select the 'preset' button on the unit itself and turn the Function dial. That only lets me get to the preset stations created in the setup.

As a test, I tried to select preset stations using the remote. The instruction manual says to press the enter/shift button until the memory preset block is displayed. Well, when I do this, the display only shows options for adjusting individual speaker volumes, but the presets aren't displayed.

The remote's mode button doesn't seem to do anything to the tuner. and neither does the band button.

Am I missing something, or is my unit or remote possibly bad?

- bones

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Does "tuner" show up on the display window? I was helping a friend with his and it was tricky. Had to play around alot. It seemed simple when we figured it out but I have already forgotten!:frowning:
The auto set up worked great and the stations came in clear with the little antenna wire supplied. That was surprising since he lives out in the country in the valley of some rolling hills.

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

"Tuner" is shown for a short while on the unit and then the frequency for the current radio station is displayed. On the remote, if I select "tuner" for the tuner to be the current input, it is shown for a very brief moment, then 'Amp' is displayed.

This seems right to me, but I could be misunderstanding it all.

- bones

MarcVH

Second Unit
After selecting "tuner" as your input (pressing the yellow button 1 on the remote) you then have to change the remote to "tuner" mode. Do this by pressing the "receiver" button (top right) on the remote, and continue pressing it until the LCD display on the remote reads "TUNER." There are 3 different modes the remote has for controlling the receiver ("AMP", "TUNER" and "MULTI") and at button switches between them.

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
Marc,
Awesome! That worked.
I think the people at Denon need some training on user interface design :crazy: .
It's definately not intuitive to me. I suspect I'll get used to it though.
- bones

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
I'm curious, is there's a way to change the radio station on the unit without using the remote - set an arbitrary frequency not just cycle through the presets?

- bones

DeT

Agent
Could someone give a little tip on how that little antenna come with the 3802 suppose to plug in? The instruction really confuse me.

thanks

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
DeT,

I'm not sure if I did it right, but I plugged the FM antenna connector right onto the center spike thingy (we're gettin' really technical now :wink: ) in the coax connector on the back of the unit.

After looking at the instruction manual for a while, that's what it seemed to indicate to do.

Hopefully someone else can confirm that this is correct.

- bones

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Yup, plug it into that little spiky thing, that's the trick.
I'm glad Marc was able to give specific instructions, it is confusing, like I said, I stumbled on to it and didn't even remember how I did it!:confused:
Do other people feel that it pulls in stations well and holds them?

MarcVH

Second Unit
John, no, I don't think there's a way to tune frequencies with the front panel -- I think you can only switch between the presets, and the remote must be used to go to specific frequencies. Fortunately, the unit has enough memories that this isn't really a problem -- I just program the stations into banks by type (the "A" stations are news/information/NPR type things, "B" for "classic rock" stations which seem to sprout up like weeds, etc.)

I found it annoying that the FM antenna input isn't threaded, so it's difficult to hook it up to my attic FM antenna -- I need to use a cheap flimsy push-on cable, because a proper 75 ohm connector won't work.

Fortunately, I don't listen to the radio much anyway, since it's become such a vast wasteland.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks