What's new

Denon 3802 and DTS (1 Viewer)

DaveJB

Grip
Is there a trick to using DTS or am I just doing something stupid again :) When I play a DTS DVD and set it up for DTS mode I get no sound. Switch back to DPL an everything works fine. The sound track is DTS compatible and I select the sound setup on the movie track and switch to DTS on the receiver. Not sure if there is some set up on the receiver I'm missing or not. I have it set up for 5.1 sound.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Check the setup on the DVD player. On most of them, you have to enable DTS output -- not just on the disc's menu but in the player's basic settings.
M.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago and it ended up that the DTS out option on my DVD player was turned off. Once I switched it on in the player's menu, everything was fine.

MarcVH

Second Unit
When you use DPL and it works, are you using a digital or analog interconnect? Near the bottom right of the 3802's display, does it say "ANALOG" or "DIGITAL"?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All of these MUST happen for you to hear DTS:

1) Receiver set to Auto detect or forced to DTS

2) DVD players will output DD by default. 99.9% of the time, DTS must be ENABLED in your DVD player's digital audio setup menu.

3) Select DTS track on the DVD itself.

****Moderators - Please, PLEASE, PLEASE, put this in a FAQ or Archive somewhere (if it isn't already). Thanks.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Yea!! Another good topic for the newbie board. I had to learn the hard way myself. Not only DTS, but sometimes I have to play back and forth between 16x9 and 4x3 in the DVD player setup to get the correct picture for widescreen for some widescreen DVD's.

Sankar

Second Unit
Not only DTS, but sometimes I have to play back and forth between 16x9 and 4x3 in the DVD player setup to get the correct picture for widescreen for some widescreen DVD's.
Wouldn't this be something that you adjust on the TV (I'm assuming that you have a 16x9 TV)? In my case, I always leave the dvd set up to output a video signal to a 16x9 TV. If the recording is anamorphic widescreen, I use the "FULL" setting on my Toshiba (this does the "squeeze").. on the other hand if the recording is not anamorphic, I use the "WIDE2" setting on the TV (this basically just blows up the picture without altering the aspect ratio)

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
4x3 61". It's really strange, but on some DVD's produced in widescreen show up in letter box or full screen when I select 16x9 on my DVD player. I have to select 4x3 on some to get a widescreen picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks