What's new

Denon 3802 and Digital Cable TV (1 Viewer)

Rob Jo.

Agent
Hi all,

Got a 3802 and set it up. Everything seems to be fine, except for a hiss, but I gotta do some more testing on that. I do have a question on digital cable hook up. I have my digital cable box hooked up to the Denon with the coaxial out to the coaxial in. I have the audio analog L/R hooked up to the TV/DSS inputs. I have to do this, because channels 1-99 are output in analog and 100 on up is output in digital. The problem I have is that the digital channels are much louder than the analog channels. Is there any kind of fix for this, some way to balance them out? I can't find it in the manual anywhere.

Much thanks in advance,

Rob

Jeff Gregory

Auditioning
I am not aware of a fix, I think it is just the nature of the beast. I have the exact same problem with my digital cable, channels 1-99 in quiet analog and 100 and up in loud digital. Also I only get pro logic II out of all the digital channels even though my converter says dolby digital.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. I have the opposite problem- Analog louder than digital.

My digital cable box (SA Explorer 2000HD) has a volume control adjustment, and I THINK it only affects the analog output. Maybe check to see if yours is turned down (if it has one).

Todd

Rob Jo.

Agent
Thanks Todd,

Just tried that and you're right, the volume does only affect the analog, but it was already turned up to the max. Dang, thought that would solve it too.

Andrew B

Agent
I have the same problem with my Motorola box. I have not found anyway to get the digital and analog to be the same volume, its kind of a piss off, but I figure its the box's fault not the 3802 (I hads the same problem with my Pioneer 309). As for the hiss I have only found it on a few channels and then not all the time on those channels (or even for the same show, the commercials are fine but the program has a hiss or vise versa). I have concluded that it is the quality of the singal that is coming though for the channel that is causing the hiss. My big beef is with the movie channels that some times show a movie in 5.1, but I can not get my receiver to play 5.1, only PL2 :angry: The guys a the cable company are totall clueless about this, they don't even know if my area has 5.1 much less how to get it to work.
Andrew

David John

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Scientific Atlanta digi-cable box, and I've found that the Digital audio output is fixed, and the analog audio output is variable and controlled by the volume on the cable box.

So if yours is similar, just adjust the analog (volume control) to match the level of the digital output.

Then they should be about the same.

For mine, the analog is about 95%, this seems to be about the same as the digital level.

Rob Jo.

Agent
David,
I have the same cable box, but I have the analog volume up all the way and it's still lower than the digital feed. It's not that much of a biggie unless I go from analog to digital and hit a DD movie station that has Cast Away on just as the container ship is passing by. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks