1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Denon 3802: Able to be used in a bi-ampable configuration??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ron Reda, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I just recently purchased a pair of Infinity speakers that are bi-wireable. Can I use the "second zone" amps on-board the Denon 3802 to push the second set of connections if I've already got the speakers hooked up to the first set of connections in a two-channel configuration?

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

EDITED from original post that was from Mars!!!

I suppose it could work. As long as the levels would match. Any mis-match and it would fall apart in a heartbeat. You'd have to adjust both volumes each time you make a change.

I can't remember reading where anyone has done this. If memory serves, Zone 2 does not work with any digital signal. So PCM, DD and DTS sources wouldn't work.

I suppose it would also be worth investigating to make sure the speaker crossover sections are truely separate. You don't want two amp sections to butt heads...

3. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just assign the amp to multi instead of surround back from your set up menu, hook one set of wires up to the main speaker terminals on the receiver, and the other set to the surround back/multi room speaker terminals. If it would cause any kind of damage, the receiver will shut itself off first. Just make sure you remove the jumper straps connecting both sets of 5 way speaker wire binding posts on the speaker itself. Make sure all connections are correct, i.e. l to l and r to r, red to red and black to black, etc. The volume output should be the same on both as they are still controlled by the receiver itself. Do not know about what Chuck said about a digital signal. You'll have to find that out for yourself I guess.

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Some receivers, such as the Pioneer Elite 43TX and up, have a built in setting to do this. If the 3802 doesn't have this option built in, I wouldn't try it otherwise because of the issues w/ adjusting/matching levels independantly of each other.