What's new

Denon 3802/4802, Yamaha 1200/2200 owners with a 6.1 or 7.1 set up... (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have an older Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro that doesn't have (THX) Surround EX/DTS-ES decoding.
If I went the "receiver as a pre/pro" route, it would be with one of the above models.
(THX) Surround EX decoding of genuine (THX) Surround EX or DTS-ES encoded soundtracks is very cool.
The problem, is that if you apply (THX) Surround EX decoding to an older "std" Dolby Digital or DTS DVD, the soundfield in the "surround" channels can *collapse* into the rear channel(s).
But, all of the above models are "2nd generation" units with 6.1/7.1 support.
Here it comes...
In your opinion, does your particular receiver do a good job of playing "std" (older) DD/DTS discs, while still somehow offering a DSP mode or two that effectively utilizes that 6th (and 7th, if present) channel?
One "best" way of checking this, is to play a DVD with *only* a DPL (Dolby Stereo encoded) soundtrack, then engage various 6.1/7.1 modes.
What sound do you get from the surround channels, and what sound do you get from the rear channel(s)?
I'm guessing that these 2 companies are way ahead even of the current pre/pros (some not even with 1st generation support for 6.1/7.1).
Thanks, and Happy Holidays! :D

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Denon AVC A1SE. I listen to all DVD's in 6.1, that means that all DVD's that are not real EX are passing the DSP and get enhanced to 6.1. Since I have the ability of 6.1 I never tryed out 5.1 any more. For me the system works perfectly.

While the differefence bedween and enhanced 5.1 track to 6.1 and a real 6.1 EX track are not that big (which means the Denon does a very good job with the DSP) the differences bedween a 6.1 Ex track and a real 6.1 discret track (DTS) are very obvious. DTS 6.1 discret realy rock.

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Does the Onkyo line of receivers (797 and up) do this as well? That is basically what I'm after in upgrading receivers too. All these weak 2.0 Dolby tracks upgraded thru the receiver to 6.1 !

thanks!

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks