denon 3802/1082

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by greg_bun, Jun 8, 2003.

1. greg_bun

greg_bun Extra

Thinking of getting this receiver. Is it possible to have speakers hooked up for outside AND 2 surround back speakers?
    It appears to me that it is either/or - either setup as zone2 or surround back.

2. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

I think that's how it is. Can't say for sure as I don't have either Denon model, but that's how my Elite 45TX is.

3. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

It is one or the other.

I use the tape out jacks to a separate stereo receiver and a speaker control box for handling multiple zones, and let the Denon do the 7.1 work in the main listening area. You could also get away with just a speaker control box if you wanted.

-Robb

Edit: for clarity.

4. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Stunt Coordinator

Greg,

I have a 3802 and I have added a two channel amplifier to the zone 2 pre-out. It runs my two speakers on my patio, and works wonderfully.

Whatever source you want to send to zone 2, you need to be aware that you have an analog connection from the device to the 3802.

Matt

5. greg_bun

greg_bun Extra

Okay, thanks for the responses.

If I use the pre-out to another 2-channel amp for outdoor speakers, does this amp have to be the same power rating as the main receiver?

6. greg_bun

greg_bun Extra

What is a speaker control box?

I'm pretty new to this HT arena - how are the pre-outs different from the zone2/surround back speaker terminals? In that, I mean, if I use the pre-outs, does that stop me using the speaker terminals for zone2/surround back?

7. Matt Taylor

Greg,

Let me explain in a little more detail. You are correct in your assertation that there is only one set of speaker terminals for the surround back and zone 2. So, how I have my setup is the two speaker terminals are used for surround back. I purchased a two channel stereo receiver (Denon DRS-295) to power the zone 2 speakers outside. You will notice on the back of your 3802 there is an "area" that contains pre-outs for front, subwoofer, surround, surround back, and zone 2. These pre-outs are two line level inputs, one red, one white. So, you will connect analog audio cables from your amp or receiver that will power zone 2, to the preouts on the 3802 labeled zone 2. Then of course hook up your zone 2 speakers to the external amplifier or receiver. That's it, that's all you have to do. The 3802 then manages the surround back and zone 2 channels separately. When you use the multi function on the 3802, you can use one input in your main room and listen to a cd in the other. It's really handy.

As far as amplification is concerned, the zone 2 speakers will only have as much or as little amplification that is in the external amp or receiver you connect to the 3802. The 3802 powers the surround back channels, but not the zone 2, it only controlls them.

Hope this helps.

MT

8. greg_bun

greg_bun Extra

Okay, thanks again.

So, another question - what are you connecting to on the DRS-295? That is, from the pre-outs on the 3802 for zone2, these analog audio cables connect to what on the DRS-295 - just the CD inputs?

9. Matt Taylor

Greg,

Good pickup! The CD input is exactly what I'm connecting the analog audio cables from the 3802 to the 295. It really doesn't matter what input you connect them to because the 3802 is bypassing all the processing in the 295, and just using the amplifier section. I used the 295 stereo receiver over a 50x2 amp because I wanted to be able to put a 2nd pair of speakers somewhere else outside if I wanted to, and so I can use the tuner outside to listen to ballgames while I work!

Sounds to me like you got this thing figured out! Now just go buy an amp or receiver so you can start enjoying!

MT

10. greg_bun

greg_bun Extra

Not quite all figured out!

On the Denon 2802, for the Zone2 it is labelled as 'out' on the back of the receiver, while on the 2803 it is labelled as 'preout'. What is the difference?