What's new

Denon 3801 shutting itself off in sections with large bass hits. (1 Viewer)

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
While watching High Crimes last night the reciever kept switching itself off at the same point in the movie.

I then changed my speakers to small and plugged the subwoofer into the LFE port and the reciever still shut off even though it shouldn't have been straining anywhere near as much when I did this.

Any ideas?

Yogi

Screenwriter
I am thinking heat issues, but then why does it do at the some point in the movie? Maybe its operating at the point of thermal shutdown and any slight increase in power from there on shuts it down. Have you tried turning the volume down by say 3-6 db and seeing if it still shuts down at the same point? Have you tried shutting off the receiver and waiting for it to cool down and see if you can repeat the glitch? If it still does it then there is something other than heat issues. How long have you had it and when did you start noticing this problem?

John Royster

Screenwriter
check, double check and triple check all speaker connections. Make sure there are no strands touching the receivers chassis and no shorts.

Next - turn receiver off and disconnect pairs of speakers starting with the rears. see if if follows the problem follows a particular speaker.

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
I tried it again today and it worked fine, yet last night it couldn't go past that part of the disc without shutting off. Weird !

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
It happened again tonight while watching frailty :frowning:. This is really getting quite annoying because it seems as though there really is something wrong with the reciever. I guess I will contact Denon and see what they have to say.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Before judging the receiver as defective I would disconnect and rewire all speaker connections both at the receiver and at the speaker to be absolutely sure that there isn't a short somewhere. That's always been the problem whenever I had a receiver shutting down on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks