Denon 3801 multi-zone problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex-C, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

I have done the searches and came up empty. What am I attempting is to listen to CD music on my outdoor speakers which are connected to my Denon 3801.

I cannot get it to work properly.

On the On screen setup menu, when I select the to Multi, the "multi vol level" disappears from the main menu, but when I set the to "surroundback" the "multi vol level" is present.

The outdoor speakers are hooked up to the "surr back/multi zone" speaker connections; not the surround B.

So when I set it to multi zone, and the multi source is set to a running CD (which is not a digital connection BTW), I get no vol. If I hit the status button on the unit a number of times, the last status message is multi vol level and its set to - - -, in other words, no sound.

But since that option doesn't appear in the main setup menu, I cant change it. It seems to me that when you select Multi zone from the power amp assignment (by highlighting it and hitting enter), the multi vol level should show up. It seems that this is an error on the unit.

The only way right now that I can get music outside is by setting it up as surround back speakers and using 7.1 stereo mode, but this results in output from all speakers. I just want the outside ones on.

My other thought was my speaker connections are wrong, but I checked and they are definitely plugged into "multi zone" like the manual (page 12) indicates.

My last thought/question: Can the 3801 power the outdoor speakers ? I mean, I thought this unit could do this.

2. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Nevermind....I figured it out.

duh.

that only took about 3 minutes.