What's new

Denon 3801: I calibrated my system but my subwoofer setting seems odd. (1 Viewer)

Shawn McBride

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,
I recently calibrated my system with VE but I'm uncomfortable with my subwoofer settings so I'm wondering if there's something I've missed. My receiver is a Denon 3801 and my sub is an SVS 20-39PC.
My front three channels all calibrated to 75db with -3 to -6 settings which seems normal compared to what I've read. The sub, however, had to be adjusted all the way down to -12( the lowest) AND I had to drop the amp level to about 60% of it's max gain to get down to 79db. From what I've read here, turning down the amp is a last resort tactic because you lose headroom.
I'm really concerned because I don't like the bass that loud when I listen to music so everytime I play a CD I have to turn the amp down EVEN MORE and then turn it back up when I'm done.
So is there some hidden switch in the 3801 that could be goofing up my settings or is there something more obvious that I'm missing? I'm stumped.
Shawn.

John Gates

Second Unit
Shawn,
I'm not sure about the 3801, but I have the same issue on my Onkyo 787. When calibrated at 75 db, my dual SVS 20-39's are correctly matched at -15 on the receiver when all other speakers are set to +/-2. When set this way, the bass for music is perfectly balanced. For HT, I usually adjust the bass on the receiver to -9 to -7 (sometimes as high as -3, but even there I can bottom the subs on TS2).
I'll try taking one sub out of the mix to see if two is just overkill in my room. Haven't tried it yet.
Good luck figuring it out...
John
------------------

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
It's usually best to set the subwoofer level on the receiver no higher than zero. Depending on the receiver there might be less subwoofer distortion if you set the level into the negative range, such as -2, -5, or even -10.
Then go and adjust the level on your subwoofer till you have it just about right.
Then fine tune it with the receiver (so your -5 might become a -4 or -6).

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Check the LFE pad setting.It's only affects the DD and DTS playback so if its less then 0 then there lies your problem.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks