What's new

Denon 3801 Bass Management question (1 Viewer)

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
I have the 3802 (traded in the 3801) and the LFE settings work like this:
You set all of your speakers to small and sub on:
Sub gets all LFE content plus all < 80 Hz signals from the other channels. All speakers get > 80 Hz.
If you set your speakers to large and sub to LFE:
Sub only gets all LFE signal plus < 80 Hz signals from any speakers set to small. Speakers set to large get < 80 Hz, and speakers set to small get > 80 Hz.
If you set your speakers to large and sub to LFE + Main:
Sube gets all LFE content plus < 80 Hz signals from all speakers, whether small or large. Plus the large speakers also get the < 80 Hz signal. Small speakers get > 80 Hz.
Remember that if you set your front speakers to small, then all of your other speakers have to be set to small as well.
If you set your front speakers to large, that is when you get the LFE + Main option in the setup.
Also, if you set your speakers to large, and sub to LFE only, you still get sub output in 2 ch stereo because the bass management is working even though there is no LFE signal. Bass management and LFE are two different things. LFE is a discrete signal in DD or DTS. Bass management just routes bass from other channels that can't handle them to the sub, so there will be a signal sent to the sub whether or not there is an LFE signal present.
I hope this helps.
------------------
Thanks,
Bryan
"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"
Mistubishi 60" RPTV (VS60603)
Denon AVR 3802 RCVR
Denon DVM 1800 DVD
JVC 3600U SVHS VCR
RCA DirecTV
Klipsch RB5 - L&R
Klipsch RC3 - Center
Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall surrounds
Klipsch KSW12 - Sub (Hopefully an RSW12 whenever they come out!)
Monster Power Conditioner
Radio Shack Gold Series Interconnects
Radio Shack 12 AWG Mega Cable

Steve_D

Second Unit
OK thanks...I knew it was one or the other....I wish it had variable settings by mode...i.e. Speakers small sub yes for 5.1 and speakers large no sub for 2 channel. I guess you could do using the analog bypass for 2 channel hmmmm.....
------------------
Link Removed

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The "direct" mode can switch off the sub completely,if you wanted to.Just lower it below -12db on the readout,the next step will say "off".Also the direct mode will remove any filtering from the mains,so even if you set the speakers to small in the speaker set up mode,it will switch back to large when you select the direct mode.
Since the Denon has the "Personal memory Plus" feature which means it will remember you settings for each input.
So you can set this up for your CD input and forget about it.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Steve_D

Second Unit
Thanks. Right now I only have the digital coax connection hooked up...meaning all DVD and CD's are using the receivers internal DAC. I'll have to look into direct mode....can you use this with the digital coax in or do you have to hook it up via the L/R analog RCA?
Sorry, none of this was really ever an issue until I got a 2nd sub and am playing with different set-ups. AS you know, the Denon manual is cryptic at best.
I was thinking of using one sub hooked up with an active crossover to my mains as a "large" speaker so I could optimize the crossover point for 2 channel, the other connected to the sub out respsonsible for LFE only on 5.1.
------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks