Denon 3801:Anyone running all 7 speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil T, Jun 30, 2001.

1. Phil T

Phil T Agent

I am taking delivery of a 3801 next week. It needs to drive a HT room (16'x21'x8.5')with a full 7 speaker system and sub. The F/C/L speakers are Dynaudio Audience 122s (6ohm,86db). The surrounds and back surrounds are PSB in-ceiling M6.1R (8ohm,92db). The sub is a PSB subsonic 7.
    I never understand what people mean when they say small, medium and large rooms. I think I have a medium room. Does anybody have an opinion as to whether this system will come close to the "movie theater" sound I'm looking for (aka reference)? Thanks.

2. Darryl_B

Darryl_B Stunt Coordinator

Phil,
    Your room is about the same size as mine. Trust me, you'll probably surpass the "movie theater" sound with the 3801.
    I just went to see A.I. this afternoon at a local Loewes Theater. They were playing it in DTS, but throughout the movie, I couldn't help but think how much better the movie would've sounded in my own home.

3. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    I'm not sure Daryl,
    Phil's room isnt exactly small. And he wants to drive "7" speakers! Not to mention they arent very effecient (86db),and at 6 ohms all the way around!
    Phil, id sure like to know if you have any trouble reaching "reference" levels. Plz post and let us know.
    I have a feeling you might be better off with the addition of a 3 channel amp, at least for the front 3.
    Good luck
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Charlie don't surf."

4. Ray Cendroski

Ray Cendroski Auditioning

Phil,
    I've been using a 3801 to drive 7 speakers in my basement theater for about six months now. It's similar in size to your room.
    I don't think you'll have any problem with it at all. At first I didn't notice a lot of difference, but with proper setup I was really surprised how the extra speakers really add to the theater experience. It would really be hard to go back to five channels now.
    The Denon does a great job separating sound across the back channels. Dvd's like the Imax "Magic of Flight" come to life when the jets fly overhead front to back and the sound tracks them perfectly. Treat yourself to "The Gladiator" DTS 6 channel discreet dvd. It'll really show off what the unit can do. There's a cool scene where one of the bad guys is swinging a spiked ball and chain around his head. It's really grabs you as the sound pans around the room.
    I'm not totally in love with the Denon. I think it's ergonomics suck, but the sound quality has been flawless.
    Ray

5. Phil T

Phil T Agent

Thanks for the replies. This forum is fantastic! Darryl and Ray, you give me some hope. I'm really looking for the experience you're talking about (I'll have to get that Magic of Flight DVD).
    I'm not sure what type of speakers you guys are running, but I have the same "concern" regarding the efficiency of the speakers as Henry expresses. I LOVE the sound of the Dynaudios, but they are known to be power hungry. The boys at the dealer figure the 3801 has plenty of juice for them, but they've never seen it under these exact conditions. It's only the front 3 with low efficiency (the PSBs are 8ohm and 92db). However, I figure if I run all 7 as "small" and let my sub do the hard work, it'll leave the amp slightly less stressed. Is this how you're all running your 3801's? Thanks.

6. Ray Cendroski

Ray Cendroski Auditioning

Phil,
    Yea, I run my system as you mentioned with a powered subwoofer. I have a fairly high efficiency set of Onkyo THX1 speakers for the mains and side surrounds, and a cheap set of Advents in the back. I've had a couple of Onkyo receivers in the past, and I still think they are better thought out in terms of user interface. Unfortunately Onkyo doesn't offer a 7 channel receiver in this price range.
    I originally joined this forum to drop a note to the nice people at SVS subs for the great way that they handled the replacement of a damaged sub I received from them last winter.
    I'm a little more active in one of the other projector forums, but I saw your note on the 3801. Calgary, Canada! I didn't know you guys had electricity up there, let alone a Denon dealer. Just kidding.
    The Denon under the worst of conditions only gets warm to the touch. The back channels don't see any sustained action, so don't worry about them. Don't fret about the specs, and have fun with the thing when you get it. You'll be lucky if you have any eardrums left.
    Drop us a note when you get it and let us know what you think of it.
    Good Luck,
    Ray

7. Phil T

Phil T Agent

'lectricity? Yup, we got 'lectricity...and wayyyy too many Denon dealers (prices are pretty good!).
    The crew is here on Thursday for the install. Equipment list includes:
    Dynaudio Audience 122/122c (L/C/R)
    PSB M6.1R (Surround/Surround Back)
    Denon AVR 3801
    Panasonic RP91N (DVD/DVD-A)
    JVC 3910U (S-VHS)
    Sony KP-65XBR10W
    Sony CDP-CX335 (300 disc changer)
    Marantz RC5000i (Pronto TSU2000)
    Plus some Niles OS-10 outdoor speakers for good luck. I'll post back this weekend with the results.

8. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

Mmmmmmm..... very nice setup you'll have there Phil! Nice choices!
    ------------------
    .... just me up on my pony on my boat.

9. Phil T

Phil T Agent

Sorry I haven't posted back in a while. Just wanted to update the install.
    Well, in a word...AWESOME!
    The 3801 is certainly capable of driving a full 7 speaker setup (2 back surrounds) to "reference" levels in my environment. The Dynaudio's do require you to put more juice to them (-15 db sounds very good, -5 db rocks the house, literally). The PSB Subsonic7 sub is a great addition and complements the Dyn's very well. After 2 back to back movies at movie theater volumes, the 3801 was barely breaking a sweat. I love the Dynaudio Audience 122's. They finally make it easy to listen to dialogue w/o always playing with volume levels when dynamic scenes come along (I also like to keep the dynamic compression on "low" anyways).
    I knew through this forum that the 3802 was coming, so I arranged with my dealer to swap the 3801 with the 3802 when it arrived. I will have it shortly. After hearing the 3801 in action (man, you gotta hear the opening battle scene in "Gladiator" in DTS-ES with 4 surround speakers!!), I am expecting great things from the 3802.
    Incidentally, the combination of the Panny RP91 into the Sony 65XBR is nothing short of spectacular. Beautiful, sharp, film-like images with (to my eyes) wonderfully accurate colors. Everyone who has seen it in action is stunned by how good it looks. There may be better out there, but I can't understand how!