Denon 3801 and Video Blanking

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris-R, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Chris-R

Chris-R Auditioning

Howdy.

I have had my A/V receiver for about a year. It is the Denon 3801. I have the VCR and DVD player going into it (coax and S-Video, respectively) and outputing to the TV appropriately.

I have noticed that on flashy scenes on TV/VCR (the TV goes through the VCR first), the TV loses signal and blanks for a fraction of a second.

It never happened before the receiver so I am inclined to think it is the A/V receiver. Has anyone experienced a similar problem, or has an idea as to what to check?

Thanks.

/chris

2. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Wait, so has this problem been occuring throughout the entire year you have owned the 3801? Or is it somethign that has jsut started recently?

3. Chris-R

Chris-R Auditioning

Strangely enough, I can't say for certain. The TV that I watched was DVD's, other than Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I noticed it the first time (I think) on the season 5 finale. The screen blanked in one bright moment. Conversing with co-workers, they also said that it blanked for them, too, at that scene.

So for some (unknown) itme, I just chalked it up to a poor Time-Warner feed. Well, Buffy started in syndication and we bought a second VCR to record it on our second TV (and subsequently have been watching too much TV, now). The blanking doesn't happen on the second TV, but when I bring it down the the HTS, it will happen.

I started noticing the difference between a Time-Warner problem and the actual blanking (presumably from signal loss). When it blanks, the TV prints "VIDEO" in the upper left-hand corner. If T-W cuts out, it doesn't. I notice the "VIDEO" much more than I don't. [Granted, they may be one-in-the-same and the "VIDEO" is a red herring.]

Initially I would say that it does not happen on DVDs. However, I became acclimated to it and can't say for certain. For sure, however, if DVDs do it, it has been rare and far between.

It is now become annoying. It may be that the frequency has increased? I can't say for certain.

/chris

4. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

Hey Chris, I've been experiencing this same problem since I added a HD STB to my receiver. since my tv (Sony KPxxHS100 has only one HD input I connected my dvd and STB to the receiver and then out to the tv. While viewing a dvd my tv will blink and video 5 and 480p will pop up on screen.

I will try changing the component cables to see if this will fix the problem.

Let me know if you have any luck.

5. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

I had a similiar problem with my 3801. I would be watching TV, and then all of a sudden my screen would go blue. This is what my Mitsubishi TV does when it doesn't receive an input. But at first, it would only happen for a few seconds, so I couldn't figure out whether it was the satellite signal, my TV or my receiver. Finally, one time it stayed blue for like 10 minutes, so I was able to figure out that it was either the receiver not sending a signal to the TV, or the TV input screwing up. The way I tested this was to try and bring the OSD of the receiver up. When I tried, nothing came up, so I knew it wasn't the satellite receiver. My TV never did this with my old JVC receiver, so I doubted it was the TV.
    I ended up returning the 3801 to my local dealer (after 6 months) and had them swap me out a brand new 3802! Local dealers are great for this! I can say I haven't had the problem since, so I am pretty sure it was the receiver. I had tried different cables, and it didn't seem to make a difference. Maybe there are some defective 3801's - or maybe you have my old one! [​IMG] Where did you get it?
    Bryan