Denon 3801 & AC3 demodulator problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gil D, Oct 12, 2001.

1. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

I cannot seem to get the RF AC3 signal to work using the OPTICAL inputs on my Denon 3801. I have the RF AC3 signal from a Pioneer CLD-704 LD player routed thru a Sony MOD-RF1 demodulator. I tried all of the optical inputs on this receiver and get the same result - no sound out of the Denon. Thinking it was the Sony demodulator, I tried another unit and get the same result. Then tried another optical cable with the same result.
    The interesting thing is that the Denon locks onto the DD bitstream and I get the sound using the one COAXIAL input that it has.
    So what's the problem with the 3801? The optical inputs work fine for other equipment. DTS/DD is no problem with the dvd player or HTPC and PCM/DD from sat works. Even DTS out of the Laser disc players digital out works fine with the optical.
    I'm baffled [​IMG]

2. Jeff_Hunt

Jeff_Hunt Stunt Coordinator

Hey, I've got a similar setup, 3801 and a CLD-504 player hooked up via a Sony Demodulator and the only thing I had to do to get it working was setup the optical input in the onscreen menus.
    Strange problem...

3. Mac

Mac Agent

Where can I pick up a AC-3 demodulator. I just picked up the Denon 3802 and have an extensive LD selection. No retail stores carry them. Thanks.
    Mac

4. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Mac, I just picked up the Sony MOD-RF1 on eBay for $165. I know it's kinda high, but that was the lowest markup I could find!

5. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Gil, go into the onscreen setup and make sure the optical jack is assigned to the right input.
    ------------------
    Luke

6. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

7. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Gregg Loewen (HTF Admin) has a few Sony Preamps with bulit in Demodulators... He's selling them for real cheap, plus you get a few extra Digital Inputs.... I'm waiting for mine in the mail... I need some extra Inputs for the PS2 and the Gamecube when it's out....
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
    Send Email:
    [email protected]

8. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Thanks Steve!!!
    Yes I am selling a few Sony 800 preamps, they are very small and have a built in AC-3 demodulator. They will also allow you to add 3 additional digital inputs for your system. $150 and they are still in the new sealed boxes. Email me if interested.
    Gregg
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units

9. Mac

Mac Agent

How would I hook this Sony up to my Denon 3802, and would it be just as good, better or worsr than a regular AC-3 demodulator? Thank.
    Mac

10. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    In MHO, it would be better. The sony preamp would connect between the LD player and the receiver. If you wanted several extra digital inputs to your receiver you would also connect them to the sony preamp. Then all you do is select the digital input via the sony's remote.
    Gregg
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units

11. Mac

Mac Agent

I still have my Denon 3200 receiver which has a AC-3 Demodulator. Could I hook this up to my Denon 3802 and if so how would I do this. Thanks.
    Mac

12. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    HI!
    Im not sure about your Denon, if it has 5.1 channel outputs and the 3802 has 5.1 input you can hook it up. OR if the 3200 has a digital output (dont think it does).
    Gregg
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units