What's new

Denon 3801 & AC3 demodulator problem (1 Viewer)

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I cannot seem to get the RF AC3 signal to work using the OPTICAL inputs on my Denon 3801. I have the RF AC3 signal from a Pioneer CLD-704 LD player routed thru a Sony MOD-RF1 demodulator. I tried all of the optical inputs on this receiver and get the same result - no sound out of the Denon. Thinking it was the Sony demodulator, I tried another unit and get the same result. Then tried another optical cable with the same result.
The interesting thing is that the Denon locks onto the DD bitstream and I get the sound using the one COAXIAL input that it has.
So what's the problem with the 3801? The optical inputs work fine for other equipment. DTS/DD is no problem with the dvd player or HTPC and PCM/DD from sat works. Even DTS out of the Laser disc players digital out works fine with the optical.
I'm baffled
confused.gif

Jeff_Hunt

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, I've got a similar setup, 3801 and a CLD-504 player hooked up via a Sony Demodulator and the only thing I had to do to get it working was setup the optical input in the onscreen menus.
Strange problem...

Mac

Agent
Where can I pick up a AC-3 demodulator. I just picked up the Denon 3802 and have an extensive LD selection. No retail stores carry them. Thanks.
Mac

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Mac, I just picked up the Sony MOD-RF1 on eBay for $165. I know it's kinda high, but that was the lowest markup I could find!

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Gil, go into the onscreen setup and make sure the optical jack is assigned to the right input.
------------------
Luke

Gil D

Supporting Actor
go into the onscreen setup and make sure the optical jack is assigned to the right input.
I did! But I'll try it again. Maybe I need to hit "enter" or something on the remote for it to take.
Mac, I got the Sony MOD-RF1 direct from Sony Accessories a long time ago but they were in very short supply and placed it on backorder. I eventually got one. The price was around $150 plus shipping, so $165 on ebay is not that bad. I would try posting a WTB topic in the for sale section of this forum.
Man does SW The Phantom Menace sound good on laser. Hopefully the dvd does it the same justice.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Gregg Loewen (HTF Admin) has a few Sony Preamps with bulit in Demodulators... He's selling them for real cheap, plus you get a few extra Digital Inputs.... I'm waiting for mine in the mail... I need some extra Inputs for the PS2 and the Gamecube when it's out....
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
Send Email:
[email protected]

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Thanks Steve!!!
Yes I am selling a few Sony 800 preamps, they are very small and have a built in AC-3 demodulator. They will also allow you to add 3 additional digital inputs for your system. $150 and they are still in the new sealed boxes. Email me if interested.
Gregg
------------------
Link Removed
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units

Mac

Agent
How would I hook this Sony up to my Denon 3802, and would it be just as good, better or worsr than a regular AC-3 demodulator? Thank.
Mac

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
In MHO, it would be better. The sony preamp would connect between the LD player and the receiver. If you wanted several extra digital inputs to your receiver you would also connect them to the sony preamp. Then all you do is select the digital input via the sony's remote.
Gregg
------------------
Link Removed
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units

Mac

Agent
I still have my Denon 3200 receiver which has a AC-3 Demodulator. Could I hook this up to my Denon 3802 and if so how would I do this. Thanks.
Mac

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
HI!
Im not sure about your Denon, if it has 5.1 channel outputs and the 3802 has 5.1 input you can hook it up. OR if the 3200 has a digital output (dont think it does).
Gregg
------------------
Link Removed
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks