Denon 3800 owners-what do you set the black level setting to?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Ross, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Just curious what Denon 3800 owners set their black level setting in the setup menu to? I know default is lighter, but Im wondering whats the best setting for my Pioneer RPTV. I dont use the black level enhancement on my TV.

2. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

Ted,

I use my 3800 feed a Pio Elite 610. Darker looks best for progressive out from the 3800 and lighter looks best for interlaced out from the 3800.

However, I must lower the 610's Black Level 4 increments via the remote when at the same time I'm using lighter on the 3800 for interlaced coming out.

I use interlaced on the 3800 whenever I'm playing a non-anamorphic DVD so I can scale using the 610.

With the above combinations an interlaced non-anamorphic DVD is almost an exact match in PQ to a progressive anamorphic DVD - except for the slightly superior deinterlacing you get from doing progressive in the 3800 in the digital domain with no in-between D/A -> A/D conversions and using the 3800's superb Si504 deinterlacer chip which beats even the legendary one in Pioneer RPTV's!

3. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Thanks for the input Phil

4. John Beavers

John Beavers Second Unit

I found that darker looks best with my Hitachi 57TWX20B. And that's with the set being ISF calibrated too.