Denon 3800 Owners. How do you like your DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Cain, Aug 7, 2002.

1. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Nov 19, 2000
    It's looking as if I'm getting a 3800 today, and I'm just curious what folks here who own one think of their Denon 3800 player??

What other players do you own or did you compare it against??

-- John
  2. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

Apr 1, 2001
    John, I've had mine for less than a week, but so far I'm pretty happy with it. I compared it to the Pioneer Elite DV-47A and the Rotel 1080. I thought the Rotel was better than the Pioneer and the Denon was better than the Rotel (I couldn't find a shop that had all three, so I had to work it in pairs [​IMG] ). The Denon was more expensive, I paid about $150 more for that unit than I could have paid for the other two. But when you're shopping in the $1000+ price range, you might as well spend an extra bit of cash to get the one you like the best, rather than regret your purchase. I have NEVER spent this much on any single piece of AV equipment before (except for my display), so I still feel a bit guilty, but the more I use it the more I like it.
    The picture quality is very good, except for the chroma bug, which I'm sure you've read about. However, my firmware upgrade discs are due to arrive today, so this should not be an issue for the next time I use the player. Colors are rich and vivid. Last night I watched the new Star Trek II release and was thoroughly impressed. It looked great for an older movie. Then I popped in The Fast and the Furious to check out a few scenes. Wow. In the second scene, the introduction of the protagonist practicing his driving in the parking lot, the lime-green of the car was so deep and beautiful looking I wanted to go over and kiss my new 3800. But such greasy stains on the HT gear cannot be tolerated [​IMG] .
    The analog audio outputs sound very good, so much so that I listen to CDs using my Denon 3802 receiver's external decoder inputs. I did a lot of A/B listening between the analog outs of the player and the digital connection with the receiver, and the player has a more airy and deeper sound, IMO. Your decision will vary depending on your receiver, cables, and speakers, but on my system, that's what sounded the best.
    For the same or lower price, I'm not aware of a better player out there that I've seen or even read about. So I don't think you can go wrong.
    Have fun,
  3. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

Nov 2, 1999
    I think its a nice player especially with the no chroma bug firmware, but I still prefer the picture of the Panasonic Rp-82/XP-30. Those machines produce the best DVD picture I have seen yet.

Obviously the 3800 also excels in audio of which I have zero interest in. So your mileage may vary, but if picture quality is your only factor get the RP-82/XP-30 and you will be very impressed.

4. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Mar 6, 2001
    I prefer the picture of the 3800 - probably the best I've seen from viewing it on a 50-inch Panasonic plasma. There is no problem with unflagged material and the combing issue is non-existent on this one. While I think the RP-82 is a very good player video-wise for the money, I believe the Silicon 504 is a better chipset than that found in the lower priced Panny's. Just my humble opinion.