What's new

Denon 3300 (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Denon AVR3300
The specs I've seen say DTS, DD decoding and upgradable to 6.1 (8 channel in and 8 channel pre-amp out)
Has anyone bought one of these and are they any good. I've seen them online for as low as $350. Seems cheap for a 105W/channel 5.1 DTS/DD receiver.

GregoriusM

Second Unit
There are still tens of thousands of Denon 3300's doing a great job for their owners.
I have a Denon 3300, and I would grab that one for $350 in a second.
It was a receiver that was ahead of its time when it first came out, so the technology isn't as old as some others that came out at the same time.
It has analog pass through for DVD-Audio and SACD.
7.1 pre-outs, subwoofer line out, 7.1 analog inputs, like you said.
It has 5 channel sound.
It has excellent DD/DTS decoding.
It can pass switch DTV video, although not high-bandwith like the newer ones. But, my DVD goes straight to the TV for video anyway.
It is powerful enough for a pretty good sized room. I use it with medium efficiency Paradigm speakers.
It has On Screen setup for all the parameters. It has Re-Eq that does the same thing as the THX Re-Eq.
It doesn't have the new DTS-ES or DD EX, but if you're not into those bells and whistles, $350 is a steal for this receiver!!!
IMHO!
Any other specs you want on it, just email me!
... Greg :)
------------------
.... "just me up on my pony on my boat".

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'd agree with Gregg on this one I'm using my 3300 as a pre amp and its doing a great job in that role. My speakers are inefficent 4 ohm loads so no receiver would power them very well (ok maybe the 5800 would) For HT I've been impressed with the DD and DTS decoding and the internal DAC's are pretty decent and much better then most of the cheaper receivers you'd find under $700 for the price quoted its a steal IMO
------------------
http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Thanks all for the help.
Im kinda new here, but I'm already getting very excited about upgrading my HT.
Thanks again to everyone that responded.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Can I hook in amps to all 6 channels on the Denon 3300?
Can you do that to any other models around the same price?

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
In it's day, heh...
This is a fantastic receiver. Many have stated that the sound of the 3801 pales in comparison. The 3300 may lack the latest surround format of the minute (with all 5 or so titles available!), but to say that it is dated technology is completely false.
-The power supply in the 3300 is the same as the 3801. Probably why the 3801 has trouble with all seven channels powered.
-Analog Devices 96/24 DACs on all channels.
-The same SHARC DSP found in the 3801, 3802, 4800, 5700, and 5800!
-A true analog bypass mode.
-8 Channel input for future expansion.
-8 Channel pre-output (or 5.1 out, with multi-zone output- I use this for my whole-house AV system) so you can use big a$$ power amps, if you like.
wink.gif

If you search the archives around the summer of '99 (if that's even possible), you'll see that perhaps this was the most-anticipated, and the most well-received piece in its price class (and even above- comparisons to the Yamaha 2095 were common). The feature set, and overall sound quality, was unmatched at the $1000 retail price point.
This receiver was the best value going when it was released. Now, at $350, if you have no use (read room) for a rear center channel, I can recommend the 3300 without a single reservation. Frankly, I wouldn't even consider other receivers that retail around $350- they will NOT perform like this.
Todd
AVR-3300 Owner, since July '99

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Todd,
Very well said, and I'd like to echo your comments.
I just ordered my second 3300 to use in my bedroom...at this price, why not?
My appreciation for Denon products started with a Denon "Personal Audio System D-C30." I have had this unit on my office desk for 6 years now. I bought the 3300 Fall of '99, and my 5800 this spring. The PAS that's on my work desk is a great system...but the 3300 convinced me to be a Denon owner for life. Making the switch from a Kenwood HTB (which was rated at 5x100 watts) to the 3300, was as night and day as you can get. It really had me doubting the whole watts is watts theory, or at least the way most manufactures depict it.
I still chime in on posts with folks asking "...which receiver should I buy for under $500?" with the Denon 3300. It rivals the performance of many others costing twice that minus the bells and whistles.
If one is looking for a VERY high quality receiver at a VERY decent price....look no further than the 3300. I don't think anyone could offer a viable argument against, even 2 years later :)
Jeremy

TomH

Second Unit
A lot of 3300's have the infamous overheating problem. They have a defect that causes them to overheat and simply shut down, usually after short periods of operation. Denon has a warranty fix (search this forum for details). Even though it is a known problem Denon has refused warranty service to units that were not purchased from "authorized dealers"
Tom

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"...They have a defect that causes them to overheat and simply shut down, usually after short periods of operation."
Tom,
This is a bit extreme. The problems were with the fans in the 3300. Noisy fan noise and constantly running. It wasn't necessarily an overheating problem, at least in the majority. Also, with Denon not accepting responsibility of honoring the warranty....don't you think these forums would be freaking out over the massive amounts of "problem" units from vendors that don't honor it?
The fix can be done at an electronics shop for under $100. But it seems that most of these units showed up in the beginning of the 3300 being offered. It has, to a great degree, been cleared up in the later releases.
I do agree with you on purchasing from an authorized dealer when possible....however, the 3300 is available at extreme low prices and you can purchase from an on-line vendor with a good reputation. I.E. e-bay feedback on the seller. It's tough to find one locally with the 3801 out and the 3802 on the way. If it is found, a good negotiation can be made with the B&M to get it around $500, this is still a bargain, IMO.
Jeremy

TomH

Second Unit
Jeremy,
There have been numerous threads on both the 3300 overheating problem, yes overheating, and Denon's shady warranty practices. This is simply a caution. A bargain 3300 comes with a risk and it may not be such a good deal when you add repair costs. Yes it appears there were a lot of solid 3300's but it probably has more "problem" posts than any other receiver on the forums.
Tom

GregoriusM

Second Unit
As was mentioned on this site a few months ago, the Denon 3300 has no more problem posts per machine delivered than any other manufacturers' products.
Yes, it runs hot. Mine does. So I just have a very small, slow moving fan blowing lightly across the top of the receiver, and it never gets more than warm to the touch, even on a show like Armageddon running quite loud.
If I didn't have the fan, the 3300 gets quite hot, and its internal fan kicks in, but it never shuts down.
I, however, don't like my equipment getting that hot, hence the little fan that takes care of everything.
That being said, because of the fact that the 3300 is the biggest selling receiver in the history of receivers by a wide margin, you are bound to get more complaints.
But, like I said, the complaints are in roughly the same ratio as any other manufacturer.
If it was that big a problem, Denon would have pulled it from sale (it is still being sold by them) due to the popularity of the 3801, and the fellow above wouldn't have just bought another one to go with the one he had.
But, a word of caution is wise. However, it isn't a great big deal like some make it out to be.
... Greg
------------------
.... "just me up on my pony on my boat".

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
After an evening that included Phantom Menace DD laserdisc and The Rock Criterion, mine was warm, but it never shut down. This is by far the best receiver I've ever had. At $350 it's a steal!
Tom

How could any say the 3300 is not old technology? It lists for $999 right? Think of what you get for $999 these days. It was a great receiver 2 years ago, worth it's price tag. The 3300 is worth the $300-$400 price it sells for today because thats how much it's worth now. A $600 receiver of today has features and performance of the 3300 ($1000 2 years ago). Take a look at what you get for $1000 today. A lot more than what that 3300 offered at that price point 2 years ago. I say again, old technology but a good value for $350.

Steve_D

Second Unit
I know the current 3801 does not have the same processing of the 5800, single SHARC versus multiple....so the 3300 may or may not be the same as the 3801 but its not the same as the 5800.
------------------
Link Removed

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"...I say again, old technology but a good value for $350."
It isn't old technology, my friend. The same processor is used in the 3801, 4800, and the 5800 (has 2 SHARC processors). The processor is the brain of the receiver, much like the processor in a computer.
That said, it doesn't have the NEW DSPs...DPLII, DTS-ES, or THX-EX. It also lacks two channels of amplification. It does, however, have analog inputs for SACD and DVD-A, it has pre-outs, and it will do video switching (non HD).
These technologies are still being "caught up" by some major manufacturers, including Lexicon, and other pre-pro distributors. It is just becoming available for $1000 and under to be able to switch HD signals without depriving the signal.
It isn't old technology...it just doesn't have some of the newer bells and whistles...that many folks would never take advantage of....i.e room for back surround channels or limited number of HD inputs on a TV. It will suffice as an incredible DD and DTS receiver for years to come.
Just MHO,
Jeremy

GregoriusM

Second Unit
And MHO!
The "guts" of the 3300 are very good. So good that, as said above, the same SHARC chips are used in their higher end receivers.
I bought my 3300 AFTER listening to the 3801. I liked the sound better.
Do you need all of the extra "features"?
It WILL switch DVD bandwith video. If you don't have an HDTV or aren't going to buy one soon, you don't care that it can't do HDTV switching.
What it does do, it does very well. What it does is not old technology. What it does is rock solid.
Hey, we're talking $350 here.
And I'll bet there are tens of thousands of 3300 owners out there who won't be upgrading for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks