Denon 3300 turning itself off after 4 hours

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ToddJoseph, Oct 28, 2001.

1. ToddJoseph

ToddJoseph Stunt Coordinator

I noticed here lately that my Denon has been turning off after 4 or so hours of playing. It seems to shut itself down when Im watching TV in the Matrix mode or when 5 channels are being driven for long periods of time. The standby light blinks off and on until you power down completely. The receiver is very warm to the touch. This leads me to believe that the fan is not working properly, or that there is not enough room for the reciever to breath. I had to move it up so there is maybe 3 or 4 inches of headroom above the reciever. The receiver is two yrs old.
    Should I buy a small fan and put it in the back of the unit or is my unit on the verge of breaking down? I reset the micro processors recently. Any suggestions? Anyone else experiencing the same thing?
    Thanks,
    Todd

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Perhaps it got "shocked".
    Unplug it for a while(few hours to a day) and Let it sit and plug it back in and see what happens. Sometimes this resets it.
    If this still doesn't fix it then you have a bigger problem. I would guess a fan isn't working.

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

It sounds like it might be a thermal issue. Is it in a closed rack? If so, that's almost too much to ask of any receiver. Try mounting a fan to draw air out of the closed cabinet.
    I had a fan set up as described (although my 3300 now sits on a very open flexi-rack), and I've never had any issues with it. However, 4 hours is about the longest I've ever played it loud.
    Todd

4. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Look in your manual, and try the "MICRO PROCESSOR REBOOT" process. Also, How long are your speaker cables? If your speakers are difficult to drive, the power supply of could be shutting down to prevent damage to itself. What is the effeciency of your speakers? what impedence are they? What size are the drivers? All of these could cause your receiver to run hot and shut down.

5. Garry I

Garry I Stunt Coordinator

Make sure the speaker wires are not overlapping or touching each other.