Denon 2910 or 955

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Nathan s c, May 5, 2006.

1. Nathan s c

Nathan s c Extra

I'm in the market for a new DVD and I'm looking very hard at the Denon 2910 I don't have a high def plasma or anything just a Toshiba cinema series but will upgrade to plasma or Lcd within a couple of years so my choices may be a little over kill. Anyway what is the difference between the 2910 and the Denon 955. Why should I pick one over the other or should I just look for a used Denon 2900 until I'm ready to upgrade the TV.
    Thank you for the help. Believe me I need it.

2. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    I believe the DVD-955 is silver, 2910 black. Otherwise there is no difference. I have never owned nor seen either perform but my conclusion when considering this Denon design is that better performance can be found for less money.

Chris

3. Nathan s c

Nathan s c Extra

I'm open to other players so what other ones should I be looking for. I'm having a hard time tracking down a Denon. I have started my research and the denon always comes up as one of the best. My main concern is that I get a combo that has excellent Audio and very good Video. I'm limited on the video portion of my set up right now since I only have a tube type tv.
    Thanks
    Nathan

4. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I would stick with the Denon but if you want to check out other players I would check out Sony and Panasonic. I own three different dvd players currently. My cheapy player is a Pioneer, but the greens are alittle overdone IMO. My second machine is a Sony DVP-S9000 ES dvd/sacd player that has a very good picture. And the third is a newer Denon DVD-2200 that IMHO has a picture that is just as good as my $1600 Sony ES. Until this past October my tv was a Toshiba 31" CRT that was 11yrs old. I now use a Sony KDF-E50A10 50" HDTV and movies look alot better when watching dvd's. IMHO Denon dvd players can compete performance wise with players costing more money. Hope theis helps?