What's new

Denon 2900 & Sammy DLP (1 Viewer)

*Luke*

Agent
Can anyone give me some input of using a progressive scan dvd player with the DLP monitor? I have the DLP and want to upgrade my DVD player, is getting progressive scan a wasted feature since the Sammy already processes to 720p all its signals? Does the upscaling in this player eliminate the black bars? Thanks in advance, Luke

John Geelan

Screenwriter
What I've read is that progressive dvd is wasted on the DLP's. Your better off going with a DVI dvd player like the Samsung or Bravo players at this point.

Or better yet wait for the Denon 5900 or buy the Marantz 8400 and hope they clear the DVI-Out function soon.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Luke

It isn't DLP that does this, it is the Faroudja DVDi chip that many of them use.

I have tried a number of players including the 2900 and the only players that look better in progressive mode (that I have found) are the players that use the same Faroudja DVDi chip that the sammy does. I also have an X1 using this chip and I get the same results.

I finally found the Kenwood 6050 and sending a progressive signal to the TV/PJ is slightly better than interlace. I believe it probably has something to do with interference that the player avoids. That is only a guess though.

A DLP system without the Faroudja DVDi chip will probably look better receiving a progressive signal.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
1. Progressive within the tv is superb, since it contains the DCDi chip.
2. DVI players are still better since they upconvert. I chose the Samsung over the Bravo because of the build quality and reliability issues with the Bravo. I am happy with the improved picture.

*Luke*

Agent
My DLP does have the DVDi chip and realize that's doing the process, the monitor has 2 inputs for 480p,720p and 1080i, so putting a progreesive signal in one of those does no good I am assuming..?.. Also, on the DVI Sammy player, can the processing be turned off? And I have no experience with upscaling, please explain.

Also, I guess since I have a Sony 550 player ($500 3 yrs ago) I wonder if the Sammy dvi player will be much better since it's only $300 about the price of a household player vs , for example all the more expensive Denon etc on the market. Perhaps it is because I don't understand the DVI capability and upscaling. Does that put in in acual 16x 9 format? (no black bars?)

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
All the new Sammies have DCDi, only the HLM series lacked them. You can output via DVI to 480P, 720P, or 1080I which is selectable. If you go with component, 480I or 480P are the only choices available. It creates/simulates a higher resolution signal than the DVD is capable of providing. 2.35 aspect movies still are letterboxed within the 16x9 screen. It merely improves the quality of the appearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks