What's new

Denon 2900 "quieter" than my Denon 1600 (1 Viewer)

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All,

I just received my Denon 2900, and I immediately noticed a "problem" When playing DVD-A/SACD/DVD-V, I have to turn up the volume on the receiver to get to the same levels the Denon 2900 used to produce. For example, when listening to a DVD-A on the Denon 1600, I would never go past -35db (i have a sony 4es). On the 2900, I am easily in the -27db range, and it still does not seem "loud" enough. I also noticed that DVD-A's on the 1600 seemed to be more bright than on the 2900. Anybody else have this experience?

Kimo B.

Jeff Kleinberg

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,
The difference in level is due to the increased dynamic range. The pre out of the 2900 was measured at 2 volts which is standard. As for the brightness being decreased it is most likely due to improved dac's and analog stage.

Jeff

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
thx for the info. I recalibrated my system today, and things sound better (just have to turn the volume up :frowning: ).

The picture of the 2900 is great, better than I remember the 1600 being. I wish I still had the 1600 to do a A/B test...

Kimo B.

Gene DellaSala

Auditioning
Kimo/All;

We found the Denon DVD-2900 to be just about one of the best performing Universal players on the market. You should also note because of format differences between DD/DTS and DVD-A/SACD, you will have to boost your sub level by about 10-15dB on the latter formats to compensate. Denon has a white paper on their website about this and it is also mentioned in our review. This could explain some of the level differences you may be perceiving.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
My 2900 replaced a cheap Panasonic,but I didn't notice any large volume differences,nor a need for a 10-15db increase on the sub level.The Denon white paper is more of a company response,then a mandate to some user complaints who had difficulty to achieve proper balance between the sub and mains,they also endowed some of their receivers with a built in boost for this reason.I have found based on my own experience,that this need for boost is rather specific case rather then general.

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
Gene,

I agree with you that the Denon 2900 is a great player. I have been listening to a lot of SACD's lately, and they sound fantastic. (I really like the 3 doors down SACD, and the Thriller mix is good too. I noticed an improved sound after I recalibrated my system (via Video Essentials), and then performed the functions Denon suggested). I find the bass to be sufficient, but that is probably due to the high volume I am listening everything at. :)

I think I finally see the "soft: picture a lot of people talk about, but it does not bother me at all. I also notice the cropping the DVD player is doing. (also not a problem).

I am very happy with my purchase.

Kimo B.

Gene DellaSala

Auditioning
Lewis;

You are correct. The Denon AVR-5803 does offer a bass boost via its 6CH inputs. To my knowledge, they are currently the only ones, though others do offer independent channel trim settings which usually works out very well. I did detail the bass issue in my review of the AVR-5803 and DVD-2900. I won't post the link here as it may be misinterpreted as spamming, but I encourage you/others to take a look if you are interested.

Kimo;

I too noticed some artifacting/cropping, but it is still a fabulous player. SACD playback is unreal. I really dig the Patricia Barber SACD stuff. You should check it out. I don't have Thriller but I am sure my wife/daughter wouldn't be objectional to me buying it for them :)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Gene,
Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the review, it's one of the more comprehensive ones out there.
Regarding the BM though, S&V found that there is a shift on the crossover slope when the player plays SACDs,and interestingly the hagh-pass was steeper then the low-pass.It's usualy the other way around.
Also none of the slope values are the same what Denon claims on any formats,which you posted on your review on first page.
I wonder if you or someone you know can do these measurments as well,and if yes it would be interesting to see if they "validate" the S&V figures.

Gene DellaSala

Auditioning
Hi Lewis;

Thanks for your feedback. I copied the Denon feature matrix on the first page of the review and that is where that info came from. We just happily received some very good test gear from Sencore to make measurements that you have requested. So in time, it will be possible and I may write an addendum to my review if Denon lets me keep the player long enough to do the measurements :)

When I reviewed the SACD playback, I had my main speakers set to large, thus I was immune from the filter slope anomaly that you/S&V magazine referred to. However, I did request a service manual to the DVD-2900 so perhaps I can review the schematic to verify their filter block. Although I suspect the filter circuity is done in the digital domain so that may prove difficult. I will contact Denon to discuss this issue and post their feedback here and in my review. Stay tuned....

Gene DellaSala

Auditioning
All;

I received an update from Denon regarding the bass management issue and was authorized to post in on Audioholics forums. You are welcomed to view it there, but I will also excerpt it here as well.

I have been authorized by Denon to post the following comments regarding bass management on the Denon DVD-2900. This will be added to our review as an addendum shortly.

Here is answer direct from Japan:

*DVD A/V (PCM GROUP)
CUT FREQ. SLOPE
HIGH-PASS 80Hz 12dB/oct 2nd order
LOW-PASS 80Hz 24dB/oct 4th order

*DSD FILTER
CUT FREQ. SLOPE
HIGH-PASS 80Hz 6dB/oct 1st order
LOW-PASS 80Hz 12dB/oct 2nd order

So yes bass management is handled differently via DVD-A and SACD. I also have a service manual to this player and will comment further on this topic and others in my addendum.

As for the drawer closing before power down issue, I have asked Denon to comment when they have a chance. Stay tuned...

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Gene,
Just for the record the S&V figures for DVD/pcm is:18db/oct for lowpass,and 12db/oct for high pass.
So only the lowpass figure is different here from the Denon's specs.

My 2900's door does not close upon power down as well.

Users who are viewing this thread