Denon 2900 or Sony 999es which one.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Richard Goode, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Richard Goode

I'm looking to purchase one of these players, they are in my price range of $1000.00 or less. SACD is the deciding factor for me. The denon is a universal player which would be nice to have all the formats. Audio and video is important. I use my system 50% home theater and 50% for listening to music. I hear the video is better on the Denon which would be nice for my 65 inch toshiba, but some say the audio is much better on the 999es over the 2900. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. kuttaS

kuttaS Stunt Coordinator

i would get denon. cuz it has both sacd and dvd-audio

3. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Denon. Better video, Universal, and supposedly better CD audio. Demo them and compare, if you can

4. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Denon,if you like sacd you should love dvd-a,I have listened to both formats for quite sometime,sacd has nothing on dvd-a to my ears.When I demo for friends I always use dvd-a,its just more impressive,not knocking sacd,its also impressive,it just don't WOW em'as much.

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

6. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

The Denon does have objectively better video as tested by secrets, but subjectively who knows if you'll actually be able to tell the difference.

I'd go for the 2900.

7. Jeff Kleinberg

Jeff Kleinberg Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    Having had both units in house on my ISF'd Tosh 57hx81, the denon is clearly the better looking dvd player. Colors especially, are more realistic, no CUE. The sony is great looking player don't get me wrong, and has some very nice features the Denon lacks(and I now miss), it saves where you were on a disc for about 30 discs, also saves the spot on a disc when you power off, and does SACD time alignment. The denon does DVD-a. the sacd of the 999es is better than the denon, but it is extremely close.

Jeff

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

9. Richard Goode

Thanks to everybody for there input. I thinking the Denon because of the audio(dvd-audio and sacd). It sounds like the video between the two are very close. I will let you know what I decide, and post my thoughts when I buy the player. Thanks again, Richard

10. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I really don't think their video is all that close. Check out these links to the Secrets shootout, describing in depth their strengths and weaknesses.

Denon 2900
    Sony 999ES

11. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

Actually, the video is close if you're not one of us knowledgable, picky, audiophile - videophile dudes. The average, uninformed consumer will not notice any difference. Even the informed have to look closely to see any differences.

Yes, if you read the Secrets tests you'll see there are differences but again, the average buyer most likely wouldn't notice.

The fact that the 2900 does both SACD and DVD-Audio is a big factor here. Hats off to Denon for trying to get it all right. Remember, this player isn't perfect either but it's a big step in the right direction.

BTW, the 999 does do a better job with SACD (Heck, it should, it's Sony's baby and it isn't cheap) but the 2900 is very close.

I heard Sony is using a new chipset that corrects the CUE problem. So far this is hearsay and, while I'm checking on it, there hasn't been any response from Sony yet.

Bob

12. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    A couple of things to consider:

I have demoed both in my home and would choose the Denon over the Sony. The video was extremely close. The audio was also very close, with the SACD on the Sony a little better.

The reasons I would choose the Denon.

First - the 999 is sloooooow when it comes to access and layer change. The layer change is very noticeable on the Sony and imperceptible on the Denon.

The main reason: My receiver does not do bass management for the 5.1 external inputs; therefore I need to use the crossover on the DVD player for the BM on the external outputs. The Denon has a crossover of 80 Hz, the Sony 120 Hz - entirely too high for my system. The bass coming from the sub with the 120 Hz crossover is too directional.

I am actually waiting for the Denon 5900 to move on up.

Your results may vary.

Mike

13. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Bob,

I have also contacted Sony regarding the the new chipset. It was my dealer who told me Sony had developped the new chipset, so I really hope it's not misinformation.

If it is, than I'm sorry my dealer's a liar, but if it is indeed true, than this is a good option for those of us who already have DVD-A.

Either way, the Denon seems like the better value, especially for those looking for an all-in-one solution.

14. Jeff Kleinberg

Jeff Kleinberg Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    Lee I use paradigm studio 100's v2,Cc, ADP's, Servo 15 with a Bryston 9bst and anthem avm20. All pretty neutral and revealing equipment.

Jeff

15. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

Keep me posted, Nick V.

16. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Denon claims that they use second generation Sony chip for DSD.I have no idea what that means,as how current that is.
    The Denon however was introduced after the Sony.

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike said:

18. Richard Goode

Lewis, I see that you own the Denon 2900. I do not have a local dealer for either one of these players in my town. So my purchase for either player will be a blind one. My concern between the two is in the audio portion. I have heard that the Denon rolls off the high frequency a bit. I not sure how true that is. I will be using the players coaxial for dvd's and the analogs for sacd and dvd-a. Any thoughts on the audio portion would be greatly appreciated.

19. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Well I'm not sure if the Denon actually "rolls off" the frequencies,but it sure sounds "relaxed" at the top,when using it's analog outputs.This could be either a bad thing or good depends on your preference.
    Because of this the sound stage seems "deeper",for instance the solo instrument in the center or vocals appear a bit "farther" away from you,and panning between instruments seems a bit smoother too.Switching to the digital output,the instruments and vocal comes "closer" and panning is a bit "sharper".It becomes more of a "in your face" sound,which can also perceived as more "dynamic" subjectively.All this for the CD playback of course.
    For SACD DVD-A you stock with the analog outputs[exception of the few 2ch 24/96 pcm that isn't copy protected DADs and some DVD-As].Overall I think you get a lot of player for the money.Oh BTW the built in BM works as advertised despite to some "negative reports".

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Richard said: