What's new

Denon 2900.....I sure love it (1 Viewer)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I did go back. Low and behold the couple of CDs I'd been having noise from suddenly turned silent. Perhaps part of the mechanism wasn't quite in place or something and the jolt of the journey put it back in place. Dunno. They swapped the player anyway and this one is definitely quieter. Not totally silent all the time (as the DV-09 was), but not enough to bother me at all.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
I'm going to jump in here...

There is only ONE on audiogon for sale. I think most 2900 owners are content with the deck that own it.

I talked extensively with Wally from Underwoodwally on audiogon a couple of weeks ago. He has ample opportunity to put the 5900 through its paces at CEDIA and was a bit underwhelmed by the "audio" differences between the two...he is offering a mod for the 2900 FWIW. He seemed to think the upgrade was more relative to the video front with the Faroudja(sp?) chip. Said he still couldn't tell a difference between the two video-wise. Also, I've heard many of the demos were using the 2900 at CEDIA this year.

Is the 2900 the last word in transparency? No, but it is one hell of a bargain in the world of audio, IMHO.

If you don't need the extra video features, or the DenonLink....go with the 2900. I would love to have the Denon Link ability that comes with the 5900, but until all of the copyright bullshit is taken care of, I can live with six extra interconnects:)

Jeremy

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Jeremy

I saw a total of four DVD-2900 players for sale on Audiogon a week or so ago, and I bought one of them. As you say, Walter Liederman (Underwood HiFi) is selling new units for $1790 on Audiogon with an effective set of modifications that should easily surpass the 5900 audio (and that of many other quality players), and may also boost the video.

I've no reason to suppose the DVD-5900 doesn't deliver benefits for the additional $1000, but since the DVD-2900 video is at least darned good, and my primary concern is the audio, the DVD-2900 plus mods is sort of a no-brainer. My player is currently on the modification bench.

Cheers -- Trevor :)

John Beavers

Second Unit
justifying the 1000$ more for the 5900 is easy, it's 2200$ less then the Consonance for almost the same sound...
Now hold on here :) I never said the 5900 had almost the same sound as the Consonance player. It has a completely different sound character, a character I've come to appreciate, but it does not have the resolution of detail or the transparency of Consonance tube player. My reason for selling the Consonance is two fold, one is that the 5900 gets me into the audio quality zone that my associated equipment matches up to. The other reason is that the funds from the sell of the Consonance will go to an upgrade of another portion of my system that I believe will enhance the sound quality more so than the edge that the Consonance gives me on SACD and CDs over the 5900.

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, William

I'll certainly do what I can. I bought the DVD-2900 on the strength of what I had read (including availability of mods) and haven't actually heard its competition. I did some listening to stereo SACD and CD before shipping it and so my comparison would be primarily the before and after with the same material and channels.

I'm hoping this will be my final SACD/DVD_A player (it's already my first) and so I went whole hog on the mods. Consequently, I'll say what I can about the multi-channel performance as well, but I won't be able to compare with another player.

Bill Gaw does a column for "Enjoy The Music" and is writing a review of the Underwood HiFi three channel version. He seems to be very enthusiastic about both the resulting sound quality and the standards of workmanship. So much so that he had his own player modified in the same way.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Trevor...

My search was done at the same time as my post. There was only one 2900 available on audiogon.

I am interested in your observations with the mod. My intention was to pick Wally's brain on the 5900 after CEDIA and make a decision from there. I've had my 2900 for 6 months now and really like it....but I've been seriously considering another 2900 with the 3 channel mod from Wally and keeping the existing machine for video only, instead of the 5900 after my converstation with him.

Are you going with FL, R, and center or just FL and R?

Keep us posted.

Jer

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Jeremy

Well, I started out thinking in terms of the front three channels, but over and over again I've felt compelled to make improvements to the rear channels in my room -- even as recently as two months ago following replacement of my old surround processor. Since I seem to be so darned sensitive to the sound back there, and I want this to be my long-term SACD/DVD_A player, I decided to bite the bullet and get all channels modified, as well as a 6dB boost to the bass channel. That probably seems extreme, but that's just me. (There's always one -- right?)

I'm told to expect return shipment early in the week and so I hope to have it back by Friday. Then it will be break-in time for the new parts.

I've spent most of the summer waiting for repair or upgrade items to arrive, and I'm really looking forward to having a complete system once again. (My surround processor is supposedly en-route after having 5.1 input installed -- Tuesday arrival, I hope.)

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Lewis

I just tried to provide a URL to Walter's Denon DVD-2900 webpage, but the forum engine won't permit it -- I haven't posted the requisite fifteen times yet.

Just enter "www" dot "underwoodhifi" dot "com" in your browser and then select Denon on the right to get to the correct page. Walter also sells brand new players already moded, so the description starts with the stock feature set and then goes to the mods.

If there is a particular mod you're interested in that isn't mentioned, try asking him about it. He may be able to help.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
To make it easier for folks:Underwood Hifi Denon Mod

Apparently, there will be competition on the mod front for the 2900. Ric Schultz is currently playing around with the unit, and Dan Wright has expressed interest in looking at it as well. Ric supposedly should have something completed within a couple of weeks. Dan may be further away, but for his "extreme" mod, he usually shoots for a tubed analog stage for the 2ch output, like he has for the Pioneer universals and a few other DVDs / CDPs. Ric also has Pioneer mods available.

I am keeping a close eye on these developments and am also eager to find out how Trevor likes his mod (FWIW, the stock 2900's audio didn't work for my system - lots of detail / resolution but missing some fluidity).

Doug

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Doug

Yes, modifier interest in the DVD-2900 was a major consideration for me in purchasing one. Seems like each of those three mod houses has its own focus. They all do diode and capacitor replacements. Underwood provides identical modification with top-drawer IC's for multiple channels and has factory authorization. EVS (Ric) focuses on stereo with discrete output stage and a custom transformer (plus component count reduction). ModWright (Dan) appears to also focus on stereo except with tube outputs.

After all the effort I've put into my surround channels, I don't think I would be happy with a stereo focused solution (though it would surely be cost effective and my stereo performance will still take the lead). I decided to go with Underwood for the multi-channel, together with workmanship, modifier (Parts ConneXion), factory authorization, and immediate availability. I expect each style of product will have its own audience, and the price tag will vary with package and modifier -- yes, it's definitely nice the options are showing up.

FWIW -- The stock DVD-2900 with two or three channel SACD audio was easily good enough to tantalize me. I'm really looking forward to having it back and settled in -- my first good opportunity to check out high-res audio!

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I will have to look into these mods. If the audio quality can surpass the 5900 for DVD-A/SACD playback, and match or exceed an Arcam FMJ33 for redbook, then the mods will probably be worth it. Btw, nice system Lewis.

Reg

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, guys

Thought I'd mention the status of my Underwood HiFi moded Denon DVD-2900.

The good news is it should arrive tomorrow (Thursday).

The bad news is I'm instructed to burn it in for 200 hours before listening critically. (That's a lot of repeat play.)

Other bad news is my surround processor arrived with a problem and is on its way back to MSB. Maybe I'll get lucky and have it back working again by the time the 200 hours is up.

Here's hoping -- Trevor :frowning:

Steve_AS

Second Unit
hmm..200 hour burn in...uh oh, red flag.

Tell me, do any DVD player modders offer any kind of 'before' and 'after' data -- measurements, listening test results, screen captures --to their customers?

If not, don't any of you ever worry ...that
the thing really works pretty much the same before and after? Or do you have unmodded versions at home to compare it to?

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Steve

I'm used to working around high-end gear and frankly, 200 hours is nothing new for actually waxing critical with a piece (as in reviewing). My experience is also that unless the measurements are noticably bad (pretty unusual these days) they tell you little to nothing about how a piece of equipment actually sounds. So, although having to wait 200 hours before critical listening is a drag, it hardly signifies a problem.

Finding evaluations of sonic modifications is pretty tough in my limited experience -- lot's of serious net searching. There are certain steps that all the modifiers take and there are individual reactions and the very occasional evaluation that indicate good to outstanding results, but my overall impression is that outside of actually having the chance to listen to a modified player, there is an element of leap-of-faith, just like the purchase of any product you haven't personally experienced.

To evaluate the sonic difference with your own unit, its probably best to spend some time listening before shipping it off for mods (preferably with specific recordings you're familiar with). To be sure, for the best comparison, it would help to have a burned in stock unit on hand as well. With or without mods, the player should definitely be settled in before making serious comparisons.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
The bad news is I'm instructed to burn it in for 200 hours before listening critically. (That's a lot of repeat play.)
You could be burning in an upgraded power cord at the same time, if you believe in the value of such things.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks