What's new

Denon 2900.....I sure love it (1 Viewer)

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
Did some checking around,the 5900 would cost us canadians about $1400.00 more than the 2900......gee thats a lot. Any canadians find a dealer yet that carries the 5900? If I go for the 5900 I have 17 days left before the 30 day return is over. Anyone order from the states?

jason-celaya

Agent
I have had a Panasoinc RP91, Toshiba 4800?, denon 2800 II, denon 1600, denon 3800, philps 963a and a JVC 723gd and the 2900 is definately the best so far (video and audio). i WIll however be upgrading to the 5900 in the next year based on the DVI becasue I am going to a fixed pixel FP DLP early next year.

TrevorS

Stunt Coordinator
Just an alternative take on the DVD-2900.

I just bought one on the strength of it's apparent overall performance to cost ratio (together with a nice build quality and user interface) with the intent of having the audio section majorly upgraded. My emphasis happens to be on the audio, but I still want a good picture (I use the S-Video ouputs and have external scaling). I would've liked the DVD-2900 to have a 14 bit video DAC (instead of the 12 bit), but thems the breaks.

Cheers -- Trevor :)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Now that I've got the LFE level issue sorted out, I'm pretty happy with the 2900.

Only thing I'm disappointed about is the audible mechanical and operational noise when discs are playing. My old DV-09 had none at all.

Scott Pierson

Stunt Coordinator

Hmm...Mine is dead quiet. I barely hear any noise even when the tray is opening and closing. I have never heard any kind of mechanical noise during disc play. Maybe something's loose in your machine?

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
If you have a quiet room (no volume) - can you hear the disc operation at all? I'm not talking about the tray moving, but the actual rotation and moving of the pickup head. I can hear mine pretty clearly (though you couldn't call it loud) and even during quiet spots in films. I sit around eight feet from the player.

Scott Pierson

Stunt Coordinator
Rob--

No. I have never heard a sound from the player. I have a very quiet dedicated room. Even after the tray closes and the disc is loading and I'm still standing right there....I would suggest you go to your dealer and listen to another one to see if you hear the same thing.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Scott. I've asked the same question on AVS Forum and everythone is replying that their 2900 is dead quiet or silent, even when right up close.

Must be a fault.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
My 2900 is dead-quiet as well, especially compared to my last player, the Tosh 9200, of noisy-tray fame. The 2900 is a great player but I must admit I'm starting to feel the pull of the 5900. :)

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
My 2900 is quiet. There is no noise at all, you cannot here the disc spin. When you load a disc, you can hear the tray open, but thats it. It does take the disc a little longer to load than Im use too. I also notice if you hit the open button then insert a disc, and push play instead of close, it will not play. You have to re open the disc and wait till the machine reads the disc, then push play, I find that wierd. Im also considering the 5900, if I can return the 2900, only because my wife would never notice the difference on the rack......just i will know.....cool!;)

Levesque

Supporting Actor
''No way I could justify the £1000 increase in price.''

A new 5900 owner (Beav...) just put his Consonance player on Audiogon for sale after owning the 5900 for 1 week, and putting them trough alot of compariasons...

So for him the 5900 is almost has good has the Consonance, and the Consonance is selling for 2200$ more...

So we can put it all the other way around...No way I could justify the 2200$ increase in price for the Consonance!.

You see, it all depends where you position yourself.

I think Beav just made the strongest statement about the quality of the 5900. This guy is SAVING 2200$ by going with the 5900.

For this guy, justifying the 1000$ more for the 5900 is easy, it's 2200$ less then the Consonance for almost the same sound...

You see, it works the other way around too...:D

I think 2900 owners should try to stop justifying not going to the 5900. I don't know why you feel the urge to explain yourself. It's not the Denon top of the line anymore, but it's still one of the best on the market. With alot of modding, some 2900 owners are probably getting a better sound then the 5900...

Enjoy your 2900, and stop looking over your shoulder. Alot of 2900 are showing on Audiogon, so probably that alot of those dudes are easily justifying the 1000$ more for the 5900! I know that hangin-out on those forums make it tough sometimes to resist all those new toys coming out.

But if the 5900 is not worth it for you, it's ok, but it is for alot of former 2900 owners (just look on Audiogon and AVS...)...

And BTW, the ONLY way to know if it's not worth the 1000$ more is to bring one home and try it. Then you would really know...

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Well I wanted to pop in here and give my 2 cents worth on the 2900.

I got mine this Friday locally for $800. This was a lot more than I was prepared to pay considering I thought I was going to end up with a refurb 3800 from ecost for $449 (long story but I basically got hosed).

Anyway I watched several movies on it this weekend I have to admit that am/was VERY IMPRESSED. The picture on my 119" screen from my HT1000 never looked better. I should mention that this is totally uncalibrated just straight out the box settings. I have been through a sh**load of DVD players over the years and this is the best one yet.

Don't let anyone tell you they don't see a difference between the 2900 and some cheap (sub $200) dvd player. On a screen of my size there is a big difference.

As far as the 2900 vs 5900 debate goes .... I can darn near guarantee you that if there wasn't suchh a HUGE price difference between the 2 that almost all the 2900 owners would switch (the difference I think would need to be at least sub $500). Personally I am sure the 5900 is worth it but there is no way in bloody hell I could afford 2K for a DVD player no matter what it does. Also the only feature that the 2900 doesn't have that I would want is the DVI with the upconverting, that's it.

Anyway just my 2 cents worth.

Oh yeah my 2900 is completely quiet no matter how close I am to it.

Greg

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
So for him the 5900 is almost has good has the Consonance, So we can put it all the other way around...No way I could justify the 2200$ increase in price for the Consonance!.
You see, it all depends where you position yourself.
I agree with the last statement.
He reckognized that a machine for $2200 extra didn't delivered the goods,in otherwords you not always pay for performance.;)

CurtisC

Second Unit
I think 5900 owners should stop trying to justify their upgrade to everyone.If I was gonna spend twice the money I'd proly buy it,I'm not and am still very happy with the 2900.Whether its flagship or bottom feeder I didn't buy it to impress anyone on an a/v forum.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Wow! CurtisC.

Just look at the title of the thread my friend.

Who's trying to justify what? Just read the first post of this thread...

I did answer the first post by answering that alot of 2900 owners are changing for the 5900, and we see alot more 2900 on Audiogon and other selling sites evrywhere...

I think your comments should go the other way around, sorry... No one is trying to impress anyone here, we are discussing, according to the title of the thread AND the 1st post of this thread. Do you really think that the dude that did sell his Consonance player to go with the 5900 was trying to impress someone? Really?

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
I bought the Denon DVD-2900 even though I already had an RP82 and a Pioneer DV-45A. I was looking for better bass management, initially, but was won over by the build quality and picture. I still have the RP82, but the Denon gets the lion's share of the work for movies, and all of the work for music. At this point, I think it will be my prime player until they come out with an HD-DVD player.

The 5900 does look impressive, and if I had a front projector that could take advantage of its DVI interface, it would be the one player on my list. But since I don't have a DVI input and can't take advantage of the scaling, there is nothing about the player that has me wanting to spend the additional money. While the sound quality may be better, for my ears I can't help but think that it would be only an incremental improvement. Somebody else's dramatic improvement is my subtle difference. I just don't hear all the things that other people hear. Certainly not $500-$1000 worth of difference to me. As for the picture, at 480p my bet is that the two players are more similar than different. I look forward to the Secrets testing, but if the prior shootouts are any indication, it is a toss up between Faroudja and SI deinterlacing. So without DVI, the 5900 and its price premium just isn't worth it to me.

So, yeah, I sure love the 2900. It gave me everything that I wanted in a universal DVD player, and if the alt-flag issue ever causes me any problem, I have the RP82 on standby. Of course, had the 2200 been available in May, well...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks