What's new

Denon 2900 for 2ch? (1 Viewer)

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
I've read lots of discussion about the Denon 2900's video, SACD, and DVD-A performance, but how is it for redbook CD?

Has anyone done any comparisons with good stand alone CD players? I've been considering getting a 2900 but am wondering if it is realy an all-in-one solution or if I would be happier getting a good CD player or external DAC for redbook CD.

Right now I am using an Integra DPS 9.1 for DVD-V, DVD-A, & CD, but I'm planning to move it into a different system and am looking for SACD capability in my main system.

My system in brief:

Anthem AVM-20 Pre/Pro
Classe CA-201 2ch amp
B&K 7250 5 ch amp
Aerial 7b's
Aerial cc3b center
Aerial Sr3 surrounds

Peter Loan

Second Unit
The 2900 has excellent sound quality for redbook CD. It sounded better than my 222ES changer and Rotel RCD-951 standalone player so I sold off both pieces. The transport is solid and the Burr Brown DACs make this a sweet sounding unit. I have my Outlaw 950 in bypass mode constantly.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I use my 950 in bypass with 2-ch from the Denon 2900, also.....it sounds great. I didn't expect to notice such a difference, but it was there. The 2900 is awesome for audio.....not too shabby with the picture, either :)

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the feedback. It may be just a case of needing to get one and try it. I would be very interested if there is anyone else who has done some a/b testing between the 2900 and stand alone CD players.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I compared the 2900 with my Sony 555ES player and I did prefer the Sony(especially in the upper midrange and treble), but the Denon does redbook very well for a DVD player.

DJ

JamesDH

Grip
The redbook and all the audio options on the 2900 sound fantastic. You should check one out, you won't be disapointed with the audio capabilities on this machine.

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. The Sony555es is a great sounding player. This is kind of what I figured--that it would be good but not really comparable to similarly priced stand alones (nor should we really expect it to be). I may just get one and live with it for while and then make up my mind about adding a stand alone CD player or DAC later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks