What's new

Denon 2900 Dvd-a/sacd Player At Ces!! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kristoffer,
Good point. I'd be surprised if Denon did not include HDCD decoding.
All,
From the Denon press release:
Denon's DVD player lineup also includes the flagship DVD-9000 Audio/Video/Super Audio Player with Denon Link technology (SRP: $3,500), DVD-3800 DVD-Audio/Video Player ($1,199), DVM-4800 5-Disc DVD-Audio/Video Changer ($1,249), DVD-2800 MkII DVD-Video Player ($849), DVD-1600 DVD-Audio/Video Player ($539) and DVD-900 DVD-Video Player ($329).
What's wrong here? :rolleyes

Kevin T

Screenwriter
ooh ooh! i know....the dvd-9000 isn't a super audio player. how many points do i get?

kevin t

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Jeff Talmadge has confirmed that the 2900 IS BASED on the DVD-3800. The only difference video-wise is that the 2900 will use a different (likely better) MPEG decoder, which is probably why the chroma-bug is absent on the 2900. He also said that the power supply is smaller in the 2900 than it is on the 3800, and that the 3800 would be more "robust" - whatever that may mean. Denon did screw up their press release by listing the DVD-9000 as an SACD player, but I am certain that the 2900 will support HDCD as well since the 2800 and higher design models do. If Denon did leave this off, it was probably a marketing decision to leave something off that the more expensive 3800/9000 have. This would also mean their claims that the 2900 plays all audio formats would be false as well with the absence of HDCD decoding.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,
You are correct! For being the first to get the right answer, you get a brand new Denon DVD-9000 Audio/Video/Super Audio Player with Denon Link technology! :D
Reggie said:
He also said that the power supply is smaller in the 2900 than it is on the 3800, and that the 3800 would be more "robust" - whatever that may mean.
Figures. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: Why doesn't Denon simply replace the '3800 and '9000 with '3900 and '9100 universal players? Does it make any sense for their top models to remain DVD-Audio-only? I realize that a higher-end universal player is coming, but we don't know that it will be the caliber of the '9000, nor have we received any word that the '9000 would be discontinued (ditto for the '3800). :frowning:

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Keith,

Jeff Talmadge has said that the forthcoming flagship universal player will be in the same league as the 9000. The smaller power supply does not bother me. I am one of those people who has never believed that a large power supply in a DVD player would improve performance. DVD players just don't require huge amounts of power to operate well. Amps and receivers are different of course.

Just my opinion,

Reg

John Cain

Second Unit
The forthcoming 2900 sounds very interesting.

I wonder if it will use the same case size as the 3800??

I also hope it does not have the freezing problems the 3800 had. I had a 3800 but returned it for that reason.

-- John

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I am one of those people who has never believed that a large power supply in a DVD player would improve performance. DVD players just don't require huge amounts of power to operate well. Amps and receivers are different of course.
My take as well!
The same goes for the ever popular theory of the heavier weight,or the heftier price tag!
Way to go guys at the Secrets!

Mark All

Second Unit
My guess is that a more "robust" power supply and a heavier chassis on a DVD player is intended to enhance audio performance rather than video performance in units that are intended for use through the analog outputs as well as the digital outputs. The extra poundage may have a little to do with setting up the perception of extra quality as well though. It is an older model now, but my Toshiba player weighs over 20 pounds, has merely adequate video, but great audio performance.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes it's not an extra large power supply that adds weight, but having 2 or more on board split between analog and digtal, and/or audio and video. plus, there are better quality and worse quality power supplies, although I don't know if that would be a function of weight or not...

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
My guess is that a more "robust" power supply and a heavier chassis on a DVD player is intended to enhance audio performance rather than video performance in units that are intended for use through the analog outputs as well as the digital outputs
Like I said it's a popular theory.;)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Lewis,

If these are the only differences (those outlined by Jeff Talmadge) between the 3800 and the forthcoming 2900, then it is pointless to purchase the DVD-A only 3800 or the 9000 for that matter. I have said in the past that I never thought the 9000 was worth 3 times the price of the 3800 just as it seems the 3800 does not appear to be worth $200.00 more than the 2900. I don't know if you've seen pictures of the 2900 yet but its the same size as the 3800 and has the SAME video section as the 9000 with a new MPEG decoder to eliminate the chroma bug. The DAC's appear to be top-notch for both DVD-A and SACD playback using Sonys newest second generation native DSD DAC's (whatever they're called). Denon claims the first batch of 2900's, which won't arrive until May, have already been pre-sold according to highfidelityreview.com.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie said:

I am one of those people who has never believed that a large power supply in a DVD player would improve performance. DVD players just don't require huge amounts of power to operate well. Amps and receivers are different of course.
The power supply is just one consideration. However, often times, you find that better CD players have larger toroidal power supplies. Size does matter. However, the rest of the construction has to be up to snuff (transport, analog output stage, etc.). I do not feel that a component has to have bullet-proof outer construction to be a high-quality playback machine. That said, if I am paying big money for a CD player, I like to see first-rate construction. For me, it's about getting a component that looks and feels like it warrants the high price, not simply that the look and feel contribute to the performance I expect. I have a Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player that is built like a rock. Unfortunately, it is a lackluster CD player.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Keith,

I hear ya. I don't think the build quality of the 2900 will likely be a problem since it is virtually a 3800 with SACD enabled and a new MPEG decoder to eliminate the chroma bug. The 3800 weighs 21 pounds and the 2900 will probably weigh only a little less. I am going by the photos I've seen which shows the 2900's bulk. This would still make it heavier than all of the other Universal players from Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz, and Pioneer Elite. I am just glad that Denon went with their own design (eventhough they just rebadged a 3800) instead of using a rebadged Panny for the player.........that would've been disappointing.

-Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie said:
I am just glad that Denon went with their own design (eventhough they just rebadged a 3800) instead of using a rebadged Panny for the player.........that would've been disappointing.
Absolutely. The '2900 looks like a nice player. Hopefully it will deliver in all aspects.
Kevin,
Right. Is it too much to ask to get a 50-lb. universal player for $1000 that beats out every audio component priced at $5000 and above? :)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
If these are the only differences (those outlined by Jeff Talmadge) between the 3800 and the forthcoming 2900, then it is pointless to purchase the DVD-A only 3800 or the 9000 for that matter. I have said in the past that I never thought the 9000 was worth 3 times the price of the 3800 just as it seems the 3800 does not appear to be worth $200.00 more than the 2900. I don't know if you've seen pictures of the 2900 yet but its the same size as the 3800 and has the SAME video section as the 9000 with a new MPEG decoder to eliminate the chroma bug. The DAC's appear to be top-notch for both DVD-A and SACD playback using Sonys newest second generation native DSD DAC's (whatever they're called). Denon claims the first batch of 2900's, which won't arrive until May, have already been pre-sold according to highfidelityreview.com.
Yes I've seen the picture of the 2900.
I'm with you in your observation of price,and supposed quality premium differences.
As the Secreats shootout showed,the extra weight,and price of the 9000 was only good for "Freudian bragging rights".
Denon maybe just realized with the 2900,that what product will sell, based on sensible engineering,that gives real features,and hopefully,better performance then it's predecessors.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
That said, if I am paying big money for a CD player, I like to see first-rate construction. For me, it's about getting a component that looks and feels like it warrants the high price,
Well the high price is what unnecesarry in the first place IMO.
High end audio is like high end cars,you bound to pay for the name,and for the fact that most of those companies can't buy in bulks like the big ones so the price will go up on the end.
While I like robust looking products,but ultimately it has very little if anything to do with real life performance.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Lewis,

Believe me, I was not implying in anyway that the 9000 is a lackluster performer in any regards. Those who have purchased it, and from the many reviews I've read, all involved have been floored by the video and CD/DVD-A quality..........and they should for the price. Will the 2900 outperform the 9000? My prediction is that there won't be a difference in video quality, and if there is, the nod will probably go to the 2900 for the new chroma bug free MPEG decoder. Audiowise? This is where I think the 9000 will probably still outperform the 2900, but if it will be enough to justify paying 3 1/2 times the price of the 2900 remains to be seen. We can only speculate at this point. What did surprise about the 2900 was the video section. I did expect it to use the new generation Faroudja chip, but Denon went with the more expensive Silicon chip. Good for Denon. I can't wait until the reviews come in.

Reg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks