What's new

Denon 2900 - Do I need an ISF touch-up? (1 Viewer)

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Good Guys financing meant that I couldn't resist the temptation to pick this bad boy up. My Tosh 65H80 was calibrated in late April by Gregg Loewen using my Tosh 9200 DVD player. I told Gregg then that I was thinking about buying this model, and he said it made a big difference which DVD player was used during the calibration. Even though Gregg's opinion is akin to Holy Writ around here (and deservedly so), I was wondering if anyone here has made a DVD player purchase shortly following an ISF, and whether the difference is that drastic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Jan,
I just got the 2900 as well. I don't notice any difference at all. I don't think a new DVD player will change things to the point of noticing by eye. It may change the color temperature a bit and a color analyzer might notice it...but I didn't notice any change.

Dave

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I guess it depends how the set was calibrated. If test software was run on your DVD player, then it seems logical that a different player could look different, and thus require a re-cal.

Having said that, I would simply record my current user settings, and run Avia. If you mess it up, or don't like the result, just go back to what you had.

I would like to think that any difference player to player should be small enough to tweak in the user settings.

Since Gregg is an Admin here, perhaps he can set us all straight?

BGL

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, guys. And, yes, if Gregg reads this and has the time, please advise. Thanks in advance, JH.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys, In the middle of a 3 week road trip and just getting time to check in.

Different players (and even the same model of player) can cause very large changes in the image.

After saying that...hook up the new player and use AVIA or VE to set your front panel controls, then look at your gray scale using the VE pluge pattern (title 17, ch 2), if it looks gray...enjoy the new toy, if not go to www.lionav.com and ... :) Remember that a slightly blue gray scale will be impossible to notice but if it goes green or red, then blah!

best of luck and call at any time for guideness

gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks