What's new

Denon 2900 Audio "Special Filter"???? (1 Viewer)

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a Denon 2900 and am going through the set-up routine. In the audio section where you specify your speaker configuration there is a toggle for a "Special Filter".

What the heck is this? The manual gives a very poor description. Something about adjusting for DVD audio and SACD discs that are recorded in 6.0 vs. 5.1, but it doesn't say which way to toggle the filter for which!!!!

It also says that with the filter off there may be a 5db boost in bass for DVD's and 15db boost for SACD's. Not neccessarily a bad thing, but it would be nice to know why.

Are there any other Denon owners who have encoutered this? Do you know how to use this filer?

Thanks.

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Rich,
Congrats on your 2900......I just got mine a couple weeks ago....sweet machine. You might want to check here for an explanation. I leave mine on.....there is too much bass in the off position for my room. Have a good one.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me or does a lot of Denon stuff lately seem to leave the factory with a worriesome amount of "loose ends"? :frowning:

LJ

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The 6.0 seems to imply to the ones with the "height channel",which sans the LFE channel in it's place.Yeah just what the doctor ordered.:rolleyes

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
Sean,

I ran across that set-up tips document as well. Maybe it's just me, but I find that explanation very inadequate. I'd like to know exactly what the filter is doing in order to determine how it should be used in my system.

I have all of my speakers set to Large and Sub to Yes (use Anthem AVM-20 for BM and TA) anyway, so for now I'm just going to leave the filter ON.

Lewis,
AFAIK there are a few discs out there in 6.0 and usually the 6th channel is a height channel. I don't know too many people who have the flexibility in their set-up to take advantage of something like that. The Denon instructions are very unclear, but I'm going to assume that the filter should be used this way:

6.0 disc = Filter OFF
Everything else = Filter ON

I had a little time to do some listening last night. Put in Fleetwood Mac Rumors DVD-A. Seemed to have plenty of bass kick for me. I'll do some more listening and A/B both ways to confirm.

Thanks for the help.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
AFAIK there are a few discs out there in 6.0 and usually the 6th channel is a height channel. I don't know too many people who have the flexibility in their set-up to take advantage of something like that. The Denon instructions are very unclear, but I'm going to assume that the filter should be used this way:
Yes I know but in order to utilize it one should have to unplug the sub and plug in an amp with a speaker[for height].I think it's very impractical though.It's not Denon's fault however,but I agree the manual in this regard is less then clear to put it mildly.
Also when I set filter to "off" the bass increase was 5db accross on all formats,never experienced the 15db increase the manual claims.

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
I sent Denon an e-mail to see if they can better explain what the filter does and how it should be used. I'll post their response--if I get one....

BTW did some more listening last night: Pink Floyd: DSOTM SACD, Norah Jones: Come Away With Me SACD, Eagles: Hell Freezes Over XRCD (using Denon as transport w/ Camelot DAC). I was very impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks