Denon 2900 - audio dropouts!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John H Ross, Sep 10, 2004.

1. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

I bought a multi-region Denon 2900 DVD player (UK model) a few weeks ago and have been putting it through its paces.

The player is absolutely superb in most areas... picture, sound, layer changes, but I've started to notice very annoying audio dropouts during various films.

Firsty, Alien (Dolby Digital) and Alien Resurrection (DTS). I wasn't worried too much about these because I've read a ton of reviews indicating that they're problematic discs.

But tonight I watched the R2 edition of "Die Another Day", with it's DTS track, and the sound cut out briefly 3 times. Once during the "marksman simulation" at MI6 HQ and twice during the scene were Bond and Frost kiss while hiding from the bad guys near the ice palace. This never happened on my Sony 7700 machine.

Has anybody else experienced similar problems with the Denon 2900? I'm a bit upset to say the least. What's the point of making the layer change seamless if the audio cuts out 2-3 times elsewhere?

By the way, when the sound cuts out in the scenes noted above the DD5.1 or DTS5.1 signal does not appear to drop from my Yamaha DSP-A1s display. Not sure if this is relevant. And the firmware I have is:

DRV 030827
    B/E 6237W
    PANEL 0043-F

I'd appreciate any responses. Thanks!

John

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

3. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

I guess it could be that, although most of the DTS problems on Die Another Day relate to the R1 edition. Mine is R2.

Anyway... another day, another drop out. Just watched Star Trek Generations (R1 Collectors Edition) and there's a dropout on the DTS track, during the line where Kirk tells Picard that he doesn't need to be lectured. The dropout occurs on the word "diapers".

Is the Denon 2900 really this bad w/DTS or do I have a dud player?

John