Denon 2880 vs. HK 325

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Simon Young, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Simon Young

Simon Young Stunt Coordinator

I'm so close to buying the HK (although here in the UK it's known as the 4550) after demoing it the other day. Warm, clean and powerful. Plus, it looks dead sexy. I managed to get £50 knocked off RRP, bringing the price down to £650 (around $1070 - a lot, I know, but this is what HKs go for here!).

However, I just saw that my local Denon dealer is doing the AVR-2802 for £350 - that's around $575, almost half the price of the HK. Now, I haven't had a chance to demo the Denon yet, but it's looking mighty tempting. The only things that it appears to lack compared to the HK are Logic-7 and an automatic speaker calibration feature. And it doesn't look as nice, but that's really a non-issue at the end of the day.

What do you guys reckon? Is the HK worth an extra £300? Can anyone point me to a review of the Denon?

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well even though what you are saying that HK goes for seems a little steep on price, so does the Denon. In my honest opinion though I think the HK is a much better value. Cleaner power and more features. The Denon is a nice piece as well if you wanna save some money but if you like the HK go for it, I love my HK AVR-225.