Denon 2805 SOUND that much better than 2105?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by GregoriusM, May 10, 2005.

1. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

1) 2805: Auto EQ

2105: No Auto EQ

I've read so many people that try the Auto EQ and then leave it off.

Is this worth the price difference?

2) 2805: Alpha 24 processing on Front Channels

2105: No Alpha.

Has anyone observed a real difference with the Alpha 24 processing, which I think is digital upconversion, between the 2105 and 2805?

3) 2805: 16 Analog Devices, 24 bit, 96 kHz high resolution DACs; 2 on each of all eight channels, in differential configuration

2105: Analog Devices, 24 bit, 96 kHz high resolution DACs

Better sound on the 2805?

-------

Basically, I'm wondering if the 2805 would sound better for music right now and make a better pre-pro down the line when I add a Rotel 2-channel amp.

I think both of them would be fine for me for HT, and the power difference is negligible and both would be fine power-wise for now.

Any comments?

Thanks!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd still go with the 2805. Power wise, I don't think the difference would be huge, but I think the 2805 would make a better pre, and the additional DACs certainly won't hurt.

3. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Alpha 24 processing is supposed to make digital signals sound more like an analog signal. It comes on automatically when you use the digital inputs on the receiver. The sound mode that DOES make a BIG difference is the direct and pure direct modes over the plain stereo modes. I agree with John about going with the 2805 unless it really stretches your budget, and would mean you have to go with lower end speakers.

4. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

What is the difference between stereo and direct?

I know (I think) that Pure Direct turns off any and all other circuitry (video) that isn't needed to take away any other distortion that might be included.

But, isn't stereo the same as direct IF you have all the tone controls with DEAFEAT ON ?

How is DIRECT and PURE DIRECT so much better on the 2805 than the 2105? What makes it better? The Alpha 24?

Thanks.

Greg

5. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

You are correct about Pure Direct turning off all circuits not used. I looked at the description on the two receivers and the 2105 describes direct only and the 2805 has both in the description. I was looking at a Crutchfield catalog at the description so please forgive me if the Denon website says something different.

From my understanding in the stereo mode even with tone defeat on there is still more processing occurring than in direct mode. Surprisingly, the difference in sound is fairly obvious. It might be the Alpha 24 processing that does it? I'll dig through the owners manual later this evening to see if I can find the answer.

I don't know if direct and pure direct will be any different between the two models. Only thing I've noticed is the 2105 might not have pure direct mode.

You'll be fine with either model, but the 2805 seems to offer more features. However, the extras will cost more.

6. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Just looked in the 3803 owners manual. Here's the scoop. AL 24 processing is done on PCM signals - ones coming in through the digital inputs and processes them to "Look like analog wave forms." It works in stereo, direct, & pure direct modes. It's not active when a signal comes in through an analog input - the RCA inputs on the receiver.

Stereo is recommended when you need to modify the sound with tone controls.

Direct mode limits the unnecessary processing but still allows video to pass through.

Pure Direct turns everything off including video when using the analog inputs. If you set the sub to off, use pure direct, and use an analog input the receiver turns off all digital circuitry.

To answer your original question is AL24 processing worth the extra money, only you can answer that questions. The 2805 does have a second zone capability which can be useful. Either way you go, I don't think you'll be making a mistake. If your budget allows it, get the 2805 but don't take money away from speakers or blow your budget to get it.

7. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

Thanks John.

Thanks Mackie.

I think the Alpha 24 on the front channels is probably worth it for me. It's not a huge difference in price, and I've already got my speakers.

If I use it as a pre-pro and add a decent 2-ch amp, having AL24 on the mains should be good.

I'm using cheaper speakers for now and saving up for something like Vienna Acoustics Haydn or maybe Bach, or something along those lines. A nice sweet sounding speaker; warm yet articulate and detailed. I've just begun my proper listening/auditioning for speakers.

I've been having trouble with my new Rotel 1056 and hiss/buzz problems, and I'm on my second one. If the third one doesn't work, I want to just get a half decent receiver to do me for now, then get a nice 2-ch amp for listening to music, get the nicer speakers, then move up to a better pre-pro (if necessary), and maybe add a 5 channel amp (if need be) for HT.

All this hopefully before I croak! [​IMG]

8. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

The 2805 should get you where you want to go. FWIW I auditioned the Haydens and Bach speakers when I was looking to buy speakers a couple of years ago. I liked the Hayden a lot but not the Bach. I think the Bach is a power hungry speaker and needs lots of power so it doesn't sound muddy. The 2805 may have trouble powering that speaker, but the Hayden will sound wonderful.

9. John Garcia

John
    2105 and 2805 both have pre-outs, and I believe the idea was when he picked up something like the Haydns, he would go with an external amp to drive something like that. That would be the right thinking too, because I wouldn't expect the 2805 to have enough power to make Haydns shine either.

10. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

It's been awhile since I listened to the Haydens but they seemed to do very well with a Denon 3803 receiver in a dealer's showroom. Nice wide sound stage, good imaging, mids and highs were well presented. It was a fairly large room which they really filled up with sound. They were used with a sub, but I don't know the crossover point. The Bach's sounded horrible driven off that receiver, and I suspect it was the lack of power that was the problem. The bass was a muddy mess.

11. John Garcia

John
    When I listened to the Viennas it was with a B&K receiver and a Denon 2900, in a fairly large soundroom, with no sub. Power wasn't a problem and they sounded great. The Bachs weren't setup though.

12. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I'd be interested in hearing the bachs properly setup. I can't imagine the speakers sounded as bad as they did when I heard them.

13. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

The current bach's have been discontinued and a new version is coming out in the next few months.

Thanks for all of your help everyone!