What's new

Denon 2805 - Dolby Digital EX 5.1 issue..? (1 Viewer)

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Hello, * I have a Denon 2805 receiver I just got off of eBay:

* Speakers are the B.I.C. Acoustech, & through set up and test tones, Denon 2805 recognizes all 7.1 speakers fine.

* DVD player: plain jane Toshiba SD-320V, using coaxial cable for the digital audio. Anyway, while everything has been great about the 2805, I'm running into one thing that I'm very confused about with this receiver.

1) I put in the DVD player LORD OF THE RINGS (extended edition), I choose DTS ES, and the receiver recognizes a 6.1 digital input on the left of its display, and displays "DTS ES 6.1 Discrete" in the center display, and plays it beautifully in the 7.1 speakers (really 6.1). The right side of the display notes sending info to 7.1 speakers. The audio is glorious and extremely enveloping.

2) I go back to the LORD OF THE RINGS (extended edition) menu and choose Dolby Digital EX 5.1 and when I play the film, the receiver recognizes 6.1 digital (not analog) input on the left of the receiver's display, yet displays "Dolby Prologic IIx Cinema" in the center display (??), and outputs it nicely in the 7.1 speakers noted on the right part of the Denon's display. Why does it default into Prologic IIx, though? And it wont let me change it. I know what ProLogic IIx is, but I want to use the direct Dolby Digital EX. Maybe it is defaulting into Dolby Digital EX, but Denon's display is incorrectly switched? Has anyone else had this problem or any thoughts? I'm really confused about that...? Help?

3) BLADE TRINITY has DTS ES Discrete encoded as well as Dolby Digital EX 5.1 encoded. Like LORD OF THE RINGS, BLADE TRINITY has the exact results as 1 & 2 above.

4) Next I tried 1984's TERMINATOR: Special Edition, which supposedly has a newer encoded Dolby Digital EX 5.1 audio track. However, the Denon NEVER recognized 6.1 input on the left side of it's display - only 5.1 input. Is that a misprint on the keepcase or do we know? Do other people's receiver recognize Dolby Digital EX 5.1 with this particular film?

If anyone can give me advice, please let me know your thoughts on point 2) and point 4) above. Sorry this is long winded, but I wanted to explain things as best as I could. any help or knowledge out there? thanks, Jim

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dolby Digital EX IS 5.1 matrix, it is not discrete for one thing. Second, many EX movies are not flagged correctly to turn on EX processing automatically, so that could also have something to do with what you are seeing.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
LORD OF THE RINGS is flagged as DD EX, but I can't figure out why my Denon 2805 would throw it into Dolby ProLogic IIx and not let me change it?

Mike Wilk

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 2805 also. Do you have your receiver connected to a cable box? In my case, when I set the receiver "input" mode to auto, during commercials, it usually displays PLII but when the program, such as CSI returns, the receiver shifts to dolby digital. When I noticed that a DVD didn't cause this to happen, I made certain to re-seat the coax plug, and the receiver then responded to source changes automatically. One end was a hair out of being fully inserted/seated.

YMMV

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Hmm, well I was reviewing my list of posts and found this one. Forgot all about it. After reading it, I went in the media room and tried it again (same equipment + Lord of the Rings Ext Ed). It was fine; LotR was flagged for DD EX 6.1 and played that way (awesomely) without going into Pro-Logic IIx. Guess I was high on crack when I first wrote this. Terminator remained at 5.1 - it's not flagged for DD EX.

Anyway, no, I think my settings were wrong at the time. My original post was done right after I had acquired the receiver at the time. Had to play around with the 2805 quite a bit to learn more about it, I guess. Great receiver by the way, though it doesn't have HDMI. Otherwise, have never had a prob with it and it plays audio excellently. Carry on, men!

Users who are viewing this thread