Denon 2805/985 Analog Audio Output Problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by James Larned, Sep 5, 2005.

1. James Larned

James Larned Auditioning

Hello everyone. I am a new owner of a Denon 2805/985 and trying to make it work in my setup. I would appreciate any feedback. I am using my 985 to switch Audio and Video. I am having trouble getting sound to my TV. Sound to my 5.1 speakers work fine. If I hook up an analog audio source, it plays through the 5.1 speakers just fine. The problem is that I also want to run analog audio (L/R RCA's) to my Television and this is not working, I get no sound.

This Works (not using 985):
    DVD Player L/R Out -> TV L/R In

None of these work:
    DVD Player L/R Out -> 985 DVD Player L/R IN.... 985 VCR1 L/R out -> TV L/R In
    DVD Player L/R Out -> 985 DVD Player L/R IN.... 985 VCR2 L/R out -> TV L/R In
    DVD Player L/R Out -> 985 DVD Player L/R IN.... 985 CDR/Tape L/R out -> TV L/R In
    DVD Player L/R Out -> 985 DVD Player L/R IN.... 985 Pre-Out L/R out -> TV L/R In
    DVD Player L/R Out -> 985 V Aux L/R IN.... 985 VCR1 L/R out -> TV L/R In
    DVD Player L/R Out -> 985 V Aux L/R IN.... 985 VCR2 L/R out -> TV L/R In
    DVD Player L/R Out -> 985 V Aux L/R IN.... 985 CDR/Tape L/R out -> TV L/R In
    DVD Player L/R Out -> 985 V Aux L/R IN.... 985 Pre-Out L/R out -> TV L/R In

Am I missing something simple or is there something wrong with my 985? I have searched the forums, OSD menus, and RTFM to no avail. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

2. John S

John S Producer

I'm not sure it is possible.. For it to work, often you would have to have a down mix feature on the AVR and use it.
    I'll let some others that may do this chime in.

Down mix is a pita, but I have used it on my Denon 4802 a couple of times.

3. Gene:U

Gene:U Auditioning

Gene Ulmer
    Your problem is that when you are directing the audio from the receiver through the audio outputs of,say,the vcr1 record out jacks,you need to set the receiver up to direct the incoming audio to output to the audio record out jacks by pushing the button,under the function knob,labeled REC and maybe with a label ZONE2.Push this button,and the receivers display will read "RECOUT...",then turn function knob either clockwise or counter.,the display will read off the different inputs,choose the input you want,the on that your DVD player is connected to ,if that is what you want to send to the record out jacks.Tell me if that still does not work,also,remember that you cannot output digital inputs to the analog output jacks.

4. John S

John S Producer

"remember that you cannot output digital inputs to the analog output jacks"

You can on my Denon it is called down mixing. takes 5.1 digital and outputs it as analog 2 channel pro-logic.

5. Gene:U

Gene:U Auditioning

Gene Ulmer
    Your 4802 is in a different class of receivers then James' 985/2805,which does not have that very useful feature,I could use that on my 3803.

6. John S

John S Producer

Thanks, I guess that's what I was asking, if the 2805 had a similar feature. I've used the feature quite a bit over the years myself, otherwise you have to go back to the analog 2 channel output of the DVD player, which in my system is pretty much a connection nightmare to achieve.